Q. I have abdominal pain, backache, and swollen ovaries in my report. Am I not pregnant?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I took an I-pill after unprotected intercourse and got a period after two days. But after a month, I had nausea and missed my period. I took Norethisterone, and the day I stopped it, I got my periods. It has been eight weeks after intercourse, and I still test negative, but I have abdominal pain, backaches and the report says that my ovaries are swollen. Does that mean I am not pregnant?

#

I understand your concern. Swollen or bulky ovaries are not a sign of pregnancy. Also, your USG scan (ultrasonography) is normal, except for bulky ovaries (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Usually, the volume of ovaries should be less than 10 cc. Yours is 14.5 cc and 11.5 cc, which is increased in size. This may be the cause of your delayed periods. Also, I-pill (Levonorgestrel) contributes to hormonal imbalances and can cause a delay in periods. This condition is manageable with few lifestyle changes (long term) like,

1) Daily exercise of 30 minutes (total 150 minutes a week).

2) Diet change. Decrease oily, fried food. Increase proteins, decrease carbohydrates and fats.

3) Avoid dairy products like butter, cheese, etc.

4) Yoga will be helpful.

5) Weight reduction of three kg over two months.

All this will reduce the bulkiness of the ovary, restore the hormonal balance and make your periods regular. If this does not happen, then medication can regularize the cycles. Also, the cause of your backache and abdominal cramps are due to delay in your periods. To treat the delayed period at present, I suggest you start Progesterone tablets for five days. After that, you can revert for more details. Please note that it is not good to have such a less duration period and requires treatment.

|