Q. What is the treatment for painless red bumps in the ear?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I have a red bump inside my ear. The bump is soft and does not hurt. What is it?

Kindly help.

#

Your pictures are not clear to differentiate it between a blister in the external auditory and ear wax (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Try to confirm it by yourself by gently palpating the bump with the ear bud. If it is a blisters, it will pain on palpation. If a blister is confirmed, then please do otoscopy examination as it can involve tympanic membrane and can lead to perforation.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I poked the lesion and it started bleeding. Could this possibly be anything malignant? I am really worried.

Kindly help.

#

It is not malignant. It is just a hemorrhagic bulla. The most common causes are viral and bacterial infections.

Kindly take the following medications;

1)Take tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily for seven days.

2) Use ear drop Ocupol-D (Chloramphenicol, Polymyxin-B, and Dexamethasone) three drops thrice daily.

3) Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg or Ibuprofen 400 mg in case of pain. Prevent entry of water in the ear and avoid any kind of manipulation in the ear.

|