Q. What is the bump that I feel under the skin on my inner thigh?

Published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

I have a little bump under the skin on my inner thigh. It is not visible but I can feel it. Please help.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Please answer the following questions.
  1. What is the size of the swelling?
  2. How long has it been there?
  3. Is it movable?
  4. What is it's exact location, like middle or upper thigh?
  5. Is there any bump on the other side as well?
  • Most probably it is a lymph node. These are normally present in the upper thigh region. They are considered abnormal if the size is more than 2 cm, painful, and rapidly increasing in size.
  • Another possibility is, it can be a fatty lump. Overall, both of these conditions are benign, so no need to worry.
  • You should get it examined by a local doctor, or get an ultrasound done, to confirm the diagnosis.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The lump is not movable, and there is no bump on the other side. It is in the lower thigh region. I just noticed it a few days back.

#

• So from whatever information I have at this moment, the first possibility for a single, non-movable, painless bump in the lower thigh is bony swelling, likely a benign tumor or cyst of the femur like osteochondroma or fibroma.
  • Other possibilities are, it could be a soft tissue cyst, tendon cyst, or a fatty bump. We need to investigate this for reaching the final diagnosis.
  • So, please get it examined by a local doctor, and get an x-ray of lower thigh plus knee region, both anteroposterior and lateral view.
  • Have a healthy lifestyle like regular exercises, brisk walking, jogging, according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day, and five days a week.

Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a knot or lump on my upper back just in the middle and little right side of the back. It can be felt when I get a massage. Can this be dangerous? The doctor once told me seven years back that it might be fat. What test can make sure that it is not a serious kind of tumor?  Read Full »

Are fat deposits in ovaries something serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54-year-old female. I bled a drop yesterday, so went to the gynecologist. She examined me and told me that I had cervical polyps. She also asked me to do a TVS. I did it today and she told me that there were fat deposits on my ovaries. What does it mean? Is it cancer? Please ex...  Read Full »

Can a lump on the head be treated with medication?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom aged 52 years has got a small lump on her head three years back. Although it was not causing any pain, she is just curious to know if it can get treated by medication. She felt that its size increased slightly, but she does not prefer surgery. For your information, the present ...  Read Full »