Q. What is the bump that I feel under the skin on my inner thigh?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I have a little bump under the skin on my inner thigh. It is not visible but I can feel it. Please help.

#

• Please answer the following questions.
  1. What is the size of the swelling?
  2. How long has it been there?
  3. Is it movable?
  4. What is it's exact location, like middle or upper thigh?
  5. Is there any bump on the other side as well?
  • Most probably it is a lymph node. These are normally present in the upper thigh region. They are considered abnormal if the size is more than 2 cm, painful, and rapidly increasing in size.
  • Another possibility is, it can be a fatty lump. Overall, both of these conditions are benign, so no need to worry.
  • You should get it examined by a local doctor, or get an ultrasound done, to confirm the diagnosis.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The lump is not movable, and there is no bump on the other side. It is in the lower thigh region. I just noticed it a few days back.

#

• So from whatever information I have at this moment, the first possibility for a single, non-movable, painless bump in the lower thigh is bony swelling, likely a benign tumor or cyst of the femur like osteochondroma or fibroma.
  • Other possibilities are, it could be a soft tissue cyst, tendon cyst, or a fatty bump. We need to investigate this for reaching the final diagnosis.
  • So, please get it examined by a local doctor, and get an x-ray of lower thigh plus knee region, both anteroposterior and lateral view.
  • Have a healthy lifestyle like regular exercises, brisk walking, jogging, according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day, and five days a week.

|