Q. Can you please give your opinion on a lump I have on my tongue?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr.Meera Premanand

I have noticed a lump on my tongue, which I want to get an opinion on? I have had the bump for two weeks.

Please help.

#

As per the image (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), this area looks normal. Is the mass painful or tender to touch? Do you suffer from reflux in the form of a burning sensation in your chest or stomach? Please answer the above so that I can guide you better.

The mass does not hurt. Sometimes I get a burning sensation in my stomach but very rarely. I am really worried if it is tongue cancer. What is this lump? I have attached another photo. Please help.

#

It looks normal from the photo (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Do not panic. Follow it up once every month for color, shape, and size changes. I suggest a biopsy in case of enormous size enlargement or ulcer formation. I hope this helps.

I have looked at other people's tongues, and they do not have this, which is why I am worried. Why do you think I need a biopsy? When I checked on the internet, it suggested cancer. I am worried. Please help me.

#

The biopsy is the only sure diagnostic method for tongue cancer, but I do not recommend it now. I strongly recommend it in enormous mass enlargement, color changes, or ulceration. Examine the mass after one month from now. This mass can be a simple old inflammation or a normal variation.

Thank you doctor.

I am so worried. I tried not to take pictures of it but took a picture today, and it is grown again. I want to know what it is? What if it is cancer? Have you seen a case like this before? Does cancer present like this? I am starting a new job in three weeks, and I do not want it to affect me.

Please help.

#

I recommend a biopsy for you to be sure. The tongue ulcer is malignant with exerted edges and a necrotic floor. I did not see a tongue cancer like this before. Your tongue mass still has the same size as the first time I saw it. I hope this help.

|