Q. I have a hard lump under my tongue. Will it be cancer?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have developed a large, hard lump on the underside of my tongue. It is grayish white in color and does not hurt at all. It feels like a hard ball in my tongue. Also, I have other small red bumps.

I do not know how long they have been there and I just noticed it before two days. These are weird and seem to be growing. I have never noticed it before. I have suddenly started getting acne all over my face and I never had it before in my life.

Could this be related somehow? I am 25 now. I used to smoke but stopped some months ago. I drank a lot for a couple years. Do not know if that is relevant. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

The hard lump under your tongue is mostly inflammation which usually gets very hard due to the structure of tongue. The bumps are formed when the inflamed tongue presses against the teeth causing that particular pattern.The inflammation of tongue usually becomes very hard to touch and grayish in color, it will take at least a week or two to return to normal.

The acne problem might be due to increased hormonal activity in your body mostly and is not related to the other. I would suggest you to wait for 10 days for the tongue to return to normal.

If you could take medicines over-the-counter, I would suggest you to take anti-inflammatory medication twice for five days. Kindly answer me, so that I can diagnose any other possible condition if necessary.

  • Do you have any sign of fever or other health problem currently?
  • Recently, did you bite your tongue accidentally? Did you change your food habits recently?
  • Do you have any ulcerous lesion in your tongue other than the lump which causes pain?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Hi doctor,

I have not changed any of my food habits. Nothing else hurts in my mouth. I do not remember biting of my tongue, but maybe I did. Do you think I should see a doctor? I am afraid of it being like an oral cancer or something. It feels like a small marble in my tongue.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I have seen such cases in my patients; it is due some accidental injury. So, do not worry about it for at least 10 days. If you are unsure and want to confirm then you can approach a dentist for biopsy of the inflammation and perform pathological examination.

It would be mostly a fibrous deformation and take at least 10 days for healing. The only problem is biopsy which would cause further injury to the area and take few more weeks for complete healing. It is better to wait without worry.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

.. mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management. Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, ...   Read full

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Hello doctor,

I have cold air allergy problem. I cannot stay in an AC environment, like airport, theaters, restaurant, buses, even if I cover my mouth and ear. If I wait for a few hours, I get a cough and feel unwell. If I stay more, then I ...   Read full

Why is there pain at the site of wisdom tooth extraction?

Hello doctor,

I have cold air allergy problem. I cannot stay in an AC environment, like airport, theaters, restaurant, buses, even if I cover my mouth and ear. If I wait for a few hours, I get a cough and feel unwell. If I stay more, then I ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Does oral or genital herpes show symptoms like bloody blisters in mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting sores and things that look like blood blisters in my mouth for around six months. I had a swab test and blood work was done to rule out HSV. It came back negative. However, there is still a chance it could be HSV as it takes three to six months to show up in your b...  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.