Q. I have a hard lump under my tongue. Will it be cancer?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I have developed a large, hard lump on the underside of my tongue. It is grayish white in color and does not hurt at all. It feels like a hard ball in my tongue. Also, I have other small red bumps.

I do not know how long they have been there and I just noticed it before two days. These are weird and seem to be growing. I have never noticed it before. I have suddenly started getting acne all over my face and I never had it before in my life.

Could this be related somehow? I am 25 now. I used to smoke but stopped some months ago. I drank a lot for a couple years. Do not know if that is relevant. Please help.

Do you have a question on Lump or Anti Inflammatory Medications?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Naveen Thomas

BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY
Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist

The hard lump under your tongue is mostly inflammation which usually gets very hard due to the structure of tongue. The bumps are formed when the inflamed tongue presses against the teeth causing that particular pattern.The inflammation of tongue usually becomes very hard to touch and grayish in color, it will take at least a week or two to return to normal.

The acne problem might be due to increased hormonal activity in your body mostly and is not related to the other. I would suggest you to wait for 10 days for the tongue to return to normal.

If you could take medicines over-the-counter, I would suggest you to take anti-inflammatory medication twice for five days. Kindly answer me, so that I can diagnose any other possible condition if necessary.

• Do you have any sign of fever or other health problem currently?
  • Recently, did you bite your tongue accidentally? Did you change your food habits recently?
  • Do you have any ulcerous lesion in your tongue other than the lump which causes pain?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have not changed any of my food habits. Nothing else hurts in my mouth. I do not remember biting of my tongue, but maybe I did. Do you think I should see a doctor? I am afraid of it being like an oral cancer or something. It feels like a small marble in my tongue.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY

I have seen such cases in my patients; it is due some accidental injury. So, do not worry about it for at least 10 days. If you are unsure and want to confirm then you can approach a dentist for biopsy of the inflammation and perform pathological examination.

It would be mostly a fibrous deformation and take at least 10 days for healing. The only problem is biopsy which would cause further injury to the area and take few more weeks for complete healing. It is better to wait without worry.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy
Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure.  Read Article »
Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit ...  Read Article »

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.
Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne.  Read Article »
Dr. Kakkar S

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict ...  Read Article »

Does oral or genital herpes show symptoms like bloody blisters in mouth?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting sores and things that look like blood blisters in my mouth for around six months. I had a swab test and blood work was done to rule out HSV. It came back negative. However, there is still a chance it could be HSV as it takes three to six months to show up in your b...  Read Full »
Dr. Sandeep Golla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your concern may be oral lichen planus which is an autoimmune issue which is treatable. Or this can be aphthous stomatitis which are oral ulcers and they are also treatable. They flare due to low immunity of any reason, low iron in the blood, B12 deficiency, stress, ove...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now