Q. Can young people get bifascicular block?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on May 21, 2019

I am wondering how serious is bifascicular block? Is it common among younger people? I am only 30 years old and this came up on EKG. I was very surprised as I live a pretty healthy life. Any ideas what caused this and what steps I should take next?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

I can understand your worries. It is not common in general population. It occurs mostly in those who have heart attack, angina, have high blood pressure or some valvular disease, especially aortic valve.

Other cause is fibrotic degeneration of conduction channels, but it occurs usually in old age as age-related degeneration. It may progress slowly and lead to trifascicular block or complete heart block.

Treatment is not advised if heart rate is normal. If in future heart rate decreases or block progresses than cardiac pacemaker may be necessary to implant. Risk of this condition is that if it is due to fibrosis, then it may spontaneously progress which may take years. Other risk is that if anytime in future you have angina or heart attack, then there are more chances of further progression of block as compared to those who do not have this block.

I advise you to repeat ECG, have an echocardiography done to see valvular disease, if present, monitor blood pressure.

Is my chest pain due to anxiety, angina or any other cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. No prior heart issues. A fan of exercise. At the beginning of this year, I started having chest pain located near or right over my right side. Mostly they are a short quick burst of pain at random intervals but sometimes they stick around. A couple of weeks after th...  Read Full »

Why CPVT is not evident on EKGs?

Query: Hi doctor, I understand that a resting EKG cannot show catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT). I had numerous EKGs and echoes and all were normal. I read that the stress test is the only way to diagnose CPVT. I have had major panic attacks during EKGs with heart rates up to 140...  Read Full »

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »