Q. What do right bundle branch block and mild mitral regurgitation mean?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My 18-year-old son got an ECG and blood tests last month as a requirement for medical screening. He jogs every night for 30 minutes. He looks healthy. We consulted our cardiologist early this month and he requested for 2D Echo and treadmill stress test. Unfortunately, we were scheduled for a consult but now we have lockdown for Covid-19. I hope you can help me understand the condition of my son. Thank you.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

Could you upload his ECG (electrocardiogram) if it has been taken and also his echo and treadmill results?

| 

I have attached the ECG, 2D Echo, treadmill test, blood test, and x-ray and image for your reference. Please note that my son has asthma since he was a baby. He has food allergies and consulted an allergologist until 8 years old. His last severe asthma attack was more than four years ago. I consulted a doctor for the x-ray result. I would appreciate a second opinion if you have any. My son had a PPD with 8 mm as a result. He does not have a cough or fever.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

The reports are very much normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The chest x-ray shows changes suggestive of emphysema, which is in all probability due to your son's asthmatic history.

| 

I do not understand why the cardiologist requested for 2D Echo and treadmill test when I showed my son's ECG? Could you please help me by explaining these results from the tests? I would really appreciate it.

ECG - Normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia. Complete right bundle branch block.

2D Echo conclusion:

Normal left ventricular dimensions with normal contractility and systolic function.

Thickened and prolapsed anterior mitral valve with mild mitral regurgitation.

Mild tricuspid regurgitation.

Normal pulmonary artery pressure with pulmonic regurgitation.

Treadmill test (TMT) interpretation:

Symptoms - limited treadmill exercise test is maximal and negative for exercise-induced ischemia at 10.9 METS.

BP response to exercise is physiologic.

Exercise capacity is average.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

Actually the reason for an echo and cardiac evaluation was the right bundle branch block pattern on ECG, however, the echo is almost normal except for the prolapsed anterior mitral leaflet with mild mitral regurgitation (which needs to be followed up). The TMT also shows a normal result.

| 

Please tell me in layman's term what is right bundle branch block pattern on ECG and prolapsed anterior mitral leaflet with mild mitral regurgitation and how they affect my son's health? What is your recommendation for follow up?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

Sorry for using medical jargon.

1) Right bundle branch block - there are two bundles of conduction, the left bundle and right bundle usually they conduct impulses in the heart with equal speed, but if the right bundle is blocked due to disease, then only the left bundle can conduct which gives rise to a specific pattern on the ECG. But this finding is seen in 12 -15 % healthy people. In your son's case, he is healthy.

2) Prolapsed anterior mitral leaflet - instead of fully being in the ventricular chamber when the heart is contracting the mitral valve is falling back into the atrium, causing leakage of blood back into the atrium. This may sometimes progress causing breathlessness, so he needs echocardiogram monitoring at least once every year.

| 

How often do I need a treadmill test?

Query: Hello doctor, I run about five kilometers every alternate day. I recently felt a chest heaviness and a pinching pain. So, I went in for a TMT test. I want to know the frequency at which such tests are to be done. I am attaching the results of my tests.  Read Full »

What is the relevant test for left bundle branch block?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a left branch bundle block a few years back. I have been under the care of a cardiologist to make sure my heart is fine since then. I have done stress echos yearly or every two years since and have been told my heart is otherwise fine. I just had to switch the oth...  Read Full »