Q. Is it possible for C-reactive protein level to raise from 6 to 15. 9 in 24 hours?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 06, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2018

Is it possible for C-reactive protein level to raise from 6 to 15.9 in 24 hours in my child, although there are no signs of sepsis?

#

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a marker of infection and inflammation anywhere in the body. It takes at least six hours for CRP to raise in the blood, once the infection starts and it continues to raise up to 24 hours at least.

Though there are no signs of infection clinically, that is, the child is well symptomatically, it is still possible that CRP raises.

Inference:

• It is the initial surge, which has increased to its peak.
  • There might be some infection which is not evident clinically, as the value of CRP is not very high.
  • Sometimes, even minor inflammation in the body, like redness anywhere in the body can cause CRP to raise.

Consult a paediatrician online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|