Q. Is it possible for C-reactive protein level to raise from 6 to 15. 9 in 24 hours?

Dr. Sirisha
Published on Oct 06, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2018

Is it possible for C-reactive protein level to raise from 6 to 15.9 in 24 hours in my child, although there are no signs of sepsis?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

C-reactive protein (CRP) is a marker of infection and inflammation anywhere in the body. It takes at least six hours for CRP to raise in the blood, once the infection starts and it continues to raise up to 24 hours at least.

Though there are no signs of infection clinically, that is, the child is well symptomatically, it is still possible that CRP raises.

Inference:

• It is the initial surge, which has increased to its peak.
  • There might be some infection which is not evident clinically, as the value of CRP is not very high.
  • Sometimes, even minor inflammation in the body, like redness anywhere in the body can cause CRP to raise.

Consult a paediatrician online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Please explain the effect of high hs-CRP?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done a health checkup and I would like to get an analysis of the same. I am worried about the hs-CRP. All the reports are attached here for your reference. Please help.  Read Full »

My lipoprotein and hs-CRP is high. Can it cause heart problems?

Query: Hi doctor, I had high hs-CRP of 3.86 around 8 months back. I have got it rechecked and it has gone even higher to 5.36. I have attached the reports of blood test done a couple of days back. This blood test report includes other tests too apart from hs-CRP. I have previously been advised that high l...  Read Full »

What is Lp-PLA2 test done for?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 47 year old female. My height is 5'4" and weight is 120 pounds. I have slightly elevated cholesterol level and so I had a blood test done before three months for Lp-PLA2, which came back high. I had it repeated this week, exactly three months later and it came back double high. I ...  Read Full »