Q. Will drinking water after C-section cause any problem?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial
Published on Jan 02, 2019

Are we allowed to drink water after a cesarean section? If not, what happens to the body if you drink water?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have read your concern.

Water is not prohibited after C-section. However, drinking water or any fluids is delayed right after CS because you are expected to lie down flat on the bed at least eight hours after the operation to avoid post anesthesia side effect of a spinal headache. With this, since you are in supine and you just got an operation, your bowels are not yet fully functioning. If you drink water lying down, you might aspirate it towards your lungs and you will have a difficulty of breathing. If you take it within eight hours and you raise your head to drink it, you may experience a spinal headache plus you will experience vomiting and possibly abdominal pain because your intestines are not yet ready to take it in. You may try to sip out water with wet cotton just so to wet your lips and quench a little desire to drink.

What causes white spots to appear on teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two small white spots on the lower portion of my front tooth. Can it be removed by¬†microabrasion? Is the procedure worth? Please guide.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are several reasons for the white spots on your teeth. Usually, white spots appear when the mineral content in the outer part of the teeth (enamel) is less. White spots could also occur due to high fluoride level in the drinking water or nutritional deficiency du...  Read Full

We have been suggested for C-section after 36 weeks. Shall we proceed?

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my wife is 37 weeks pregnant. The growth scan shows that the fetal growth is 34 weeks 5 days. So, our doctor is suggesting for C-section after about a week's time to avoid any suffocation to the fetus. Is it fine to get a C-section during the fetal growth of about 36 weeks? Plea...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way to determine the time of delivery is by doing a fetal Doppler. If the Doppler shows reversal of flow, then immediate cesarean is needed. The best person to advice about this is the person seeing or doing the ultrasound and if the person is a gynecologist. How...  Read Full