Q. Will drinking water after C-section cause any problem?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Are we allowed to drink water after a cesarean section? If not, what happens to the body if you drink water?

#

I have read your concern.

Water is not prohibited after C-section. However, drinking water or any fluids is delayed right after CS because you are expected to lie down flat on the bed at least eight hours after the operation to avoid post anesthesia side effect of a spinal headache. With this, since you are in supine and you just got an operation, your bowels are not yet fully functioning. If you drink water lying down, you might aspirate it towards your lungs and you will have a difficulty of breathing. If you take it within eight hours and you raise your head to drink it, you may experience a spinal headache plus you will experience vomiting and possibly abdominal pain because your intestines are not yet ready to take it in. You may try to sip out water with wet cotton just so to wet your lips and quench a little desire to drink.

|