Q. I drank water containing HIV blood. Will I be HIV positive?

Answered by
Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 15, 2019

Hello doctor,

Please provide information about my query. I am a cable operator. Once I visited a foreign lady's house. While doing the work, the lady provided me a water bottle. I drank the water and after 10 minutes I had small sores. I think the lady has poured her blood in the water. I think she had HIV, and can I get infected in this way? What is the period of the virus in the water?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician HIV/AIDS Specialist


Welcome to icliniq.com.

HIV cannot be transmitted through water, and it is not infectious because HIV cannot live in water. Drinking water containing the virus cannot cause HIV infection. If it is possible, then no one can stop HIV infection and all the population will be infected. So, there is nothing to worry about.

Thank you doctor,

But what will happen if water contains HIV blood?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician HIV/AIDS Specialist
Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

The CSW had some white patches near her vagina. Should I get tested for HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had sex with a prostitute and not sure if she has HIV or not. However, I have used a condom as a protection. Now, do I need to do an HIV test to check?  Read Full »

What are the chances of acquiring HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male, and a couple of months ago, I had availed an escort service. Ever since, I have been worrying all the time about possible HIV infection. I feel little embarrassed writing about all this. Please excuse if you find any content of my note below unwarranted. I will tr...  Read Full »

Can complete blood count show HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, Will complete blood count test show HIV infection? Will the WBC be increased or decreased?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.