Q. I drank water containing HIV blood. Will I be HIV positive?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Please provide information about my query. I am a cable operator. Once I visited a foreign lady's house. While doing the work, the lady provided me a water bottle. I drank the water and after 10 minutes I had small sores. I think the lady has poured her blood in the water. I think she had HIV, and can I get infected in this way? What is the period of the virus in the water?

#

HIV cannot be transmitted through water, and it is not infectious because HIV cannot live in water. Drinking water containing the virus cannot cause HIV infection. If it is possible, then no one can stop HIV infection and all the population will be infected. So, there is nothing to worry about.

But what will happen if water contains HIV blood?

#

Yes, water containing HIV infected blood cannot transmit HIV infection. Nothing to worry.

|