Q. My calcium and potassium levels are high. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2021

I just had a biometric screening. My calcium was 10.3 and potassium was 6.1. The doctor said my calcium and potassium levels were a little over what they should be, and that my MCHC was off. I have tried to ask if I should be concerned, but they refuse to talk to me about it, until I make another payment at their office. Help.

#

Do you have any symptoms like cough, weight loss or an underlying disease? Do you drink a lot of milk?

• Calcium is borderline elevated. In fact, calcium up to 11 is considered as normal. So, I do not think there is any need to worry about it. Drink plenty of water. However, you should get a CXR PA (chest X-ray posterior-anterior) done too.
  • Potassium is certainly elevated, but it is mostly due to a hemolyzed sample, delayed processing of sample or faulty blood collection techniques because it is raised only in patients with kidney injury or some serious illness. So according to me, this is most probably a sampling error. You should repeat potassium in order to confirm it, which is most likely a false report as there is no reason to suspect it.
  • It is better if you upload your reports here, so I can have a look at those, especially MCV (mean corpuscular volume).

Hope this helps you. Get back if you have any doubts.

Revert with more information to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I cannot upload the files because they gave me a paper copy. So, I am sorry about that. I do not drink any milk at all. I was taking a calcium supplement, but I suppose I should stop that for now. Reading your reply makes me feel better. I am still curious about my MCHC. Out of the 32 to 36 range, I was 31.

#

• So, the probable cause for borderline high calcium levels are the supplements you had been taking. You will need to stop the supplements. And, getting a chest X-ray done is not required.
  • Also, there is no need to worry about MCHC as it is normal. A slight variation is common and it is acceptable.
  • I assume MCV and MCH are normal.

Overall, there is no need to worry and the reports are fine.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|