Q. CALR Exon 9 mutation is detected. Do I have to worry?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Published on Apr 30, 2018

I am a 46-year-old male. A month ago, I had a heart stroke and underwent angio for blood clotting thrombus. My CBC report at that time shows a platelet count at 24 lakhs. I received CALR Exon 9 mutation analysis report today. It reads "CALR Exon 9 mutation is detected by PCR amplification of Exon 9 of CALR, followed by sequencing of coding and junctional region of the Exon. The sequence is compared with the reference sequence NM-004343 for the analysis of mutations." Hematologist prescribed me Anagrelide 0.5 mg. Do I have to worry? Can it be cured by medication?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

You have very high levels of platelets which are called 'primary thrombocytosis' or 'essential thrombocytosis', which was confirmed by CALR Gene mutation test. This condition will results in either clots or sometimes bleeding in any part of the body.

There are few treatment options available to control the disease, Anagrelide is one of them, which is supposed to be taken along with Aspirin. Please consult a hematologist who will monitor the condition and give you treatment.

Please discuss with the hematologist if you can be tried on Hydroxyurea instead of Anagrelide which is a better drug.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Antibiotic Resistance: a Public Health Issue

Article Overview: Antibiotic resistance is one of the potentially deadliest public health concerns the world is facing, with major institutions such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are predicting severe consequences within the next century. Healthcare professionals should lead the pack to ensure that their patients are informed and armed with the correct knowledge to reduce the spread of resistant bacteria. This article aims to educate the patient about ways in which they can aid in the fight against this health issue. Read Article

Dr. Philile Donna Bongekile Hlengwa
Community Medicine Physician

I cannot begin to count the number of moments I have had patients request antibiotics for some conditions that do not qualify for antimicrobial treatment. The most common request comes around flu season for a shot of a common injectable antibiotic. The flu is a viral illness that does not get better...  Read Article

Is surgery necessary for a blood clot in the brain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »

What diet will you recommend for a beta major thalassemia patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 2.5 years old, is suffering from beta major thalassemia. From her 3 months of age, blood has been transfused either once in 30 or 45 days after checking the blood level. I would request you to kindly advise a good and healthy food diet. Is there any important daily die...  Read Full »