Q. What are the reasons for high platelet count?

Dr. Veerendra Channabasappa Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 46 year old diabetic female. My platelet count is high at 9 lakhs in routine CBC. My iron is normal. My USG showed hepatosplenomegaly and PBS showed microcytic hypochromic anisocytosis. What shall I do now?

#

• The platelet count is above the normal range. There are many reasons for such elevated platelet count. It needs further investigations, including genetic tests.
  • The conditions like essential thrombocytosis could be considered with the available information from you. It would be wise to see the detailed blood reports.
  • If peripheral smear and other blood tests are fine, then genetic tests like PCR for BCR-ABL (polymerase chain reaction), JAK 2 mutation (Janus kinase) and CALR mutation (calreticulin) would be suggested.
  • Advice for now would be to keep good hydration with oral fluids and get further investigations.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|