Q. I have penile thrush recurrence even after using Clotrimazole cream. Kindly help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I feel a little itchy at times, but no pain or urinary problems. There are some scratchy feelings when having intercourse. I have been having issues with this for almost two years now. It started with one little spot on the top of the penis. One thing to note it started after taking an antibiotic prescribed by my girlfriend's doctor for us both to take. On my last consultation, I explained my condition with the penile thrush. I was recommended to use Canesten cream and wait 14 days before having intercourse. I did that, and it seemed to go away. Now, however, it has come back worst than before. My partner is now doing a UTI treatment. I take Vitamin tablets, occasionally apply Canesten cream and some Thyme oil. I had a urine test and blood test two years ago when it first started to check for any STD. Kindly help me.

#

Yeah, fungal infection can be recurrent (come back) and require treatment for both partners. There are many classes for anti-fungal medications, and the best treatment for genital fungal infections is Clotrimazole. Ketoconazole can be used for fungal infections on the feet mainly. Imidazole can be used but not as effective as Clotrimazole for genital fungal infections. And if your wife is getting antibiotics for UTI (urinary tract infection), that can kill normal vaginal flora and lead to fungal growth. So she is advised to use Canesten (Clotrimazole) vaginal tablets to prevent fungal infection during her antibiotic course for UTI. For you, the best is to apply Canesten twice daily for a week or any cream containing Clotrimazole if Canesten is unavailable. And your wife can use Canesten Pessary once at night for six days. During treatment, please avoid intercourse. Since you also did STD (sexually transmitted disease), please update me with the results. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask. I hope this was helpful.

Can I use something other than Clotrimazole? I have been trying to use that off and on now for a year and a half with no effect. This condition keeps getting worse and worse. Please help. I need something different. When I search about penile thrush on the internet, the results say Fluconazole is the first-choice treatment for thrush that affects the penis, and it is also used as an alternative anti-fungal medication if your symptoms do not improve within 14 days of using a topical Imidazole. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The Fluconazole capsules of 150 mg to be taken once daily for both partners for a period of six days in addition to topical Canesten can provide good coverage. This treatment is used in case Canesten alone did not work as in your case. I hope this was helpful.

#

Please get back if you have further queries.

|