Q. What can be done to cure candidal balanitis soon?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

I was diagnosed with balanitis about three weeks ago. I got antibiotics and was told by the doctor to keep the area clean and apply an anti-fungal cream. At first, it was super itchy and could not use anything tight. Right now I do not feel it but I can see as you see in the pictures, it is healing. It was my fault to get this so bad because at the beginning it was just red and I thought it was a simple rash because of my sensitive skin but then the rash was so bad that was burning my penis. I just want this to be over, right now. I want to be back to normal but is healing so slow that I am getting desperate. I am using Menaderm Clio, Emuaidmax, Gelmicin, and Cortisone. Not sure if this sensitive area is normal to heal slowly or maybe I am using the wrong medication. They already tested for any infection. Usually, I am very sensitive and I think because I did not pay attention to the initial redness and kept doing a lot of things without taking care developed the severe rash.

#

Looking at the picture, features are consistent with candidal balanoposthitis. It is quite severe. Please stop using Menaderm, Cortisone, both are steroid cream, that makes the infection grow rather healing it. Gelmicin has steroid along with anti-fungal medicine. Any history of unprotected sexual intercourse before this rash appeared?

Clean the area with lukewarm water, use a mild soap. Apply Clotrimazole 1 % gel or cream twice a day for 3 to 4 weeks. Avoid sexual contact till it heals. You need oral antifungal capsule. Do you know if you have any allergy to any medication? You need Itraconazole 200 mg, one pill twice a day for just one day. It is a single day treatment. Buy two capsules of Itraconazole 200, take one pill in the morning after breakfast and one pill at night after dinner. Please do not take Itraconazole if you are allergic to it. Since it is severe, you may need to repeat the Itraconazole capsules after one month.

Thanks for the reply. I had sexual intercourse a month before this got worse but my penis was super red already. But complications with the rash and redness was worse with masturbation. Any stronger cream besides Clotrimazole? I do not feel it works good enough. Or is it normal to heal so slow?

#

You can also use Ketoconazole 2 % cream. Initially when you stop these steroid cream, there will be a flare-up of rash, it is called rebound phenomenon, but eventually, redness will come down. Fungal infections heal slow. It will take at least a month.

|