Q. Does my family has a genetic predisposition towards cardiac arrest?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Hi, I am a 28 year old woman. 3 years ago my eldest brother passed away at the age of 31 from a sudden cardiac arrest after playing football. He couldn't make it to the hospital and passed away at the hospital gate. 1.5 hours of time from the sudden pain to actual death. Exact 3 years later, 2nd sibling / older sister passed away with the same sudden pain. It took her 1.45 hours from pain to death. She went to the hospital from her workplace, complaining about her pain and that she couldn't breathe.

Doctors now suspect we might have something in our genetics as the pattern suggests - sudden cardiac arrest with no prior symptoms or major pains (that they would have complained about) with zero survival chances in a certain age bracket. i.e. 31 for my brother and 33 for sister. After me, I have a younger sister who is 25. We are / were 4 siblings. Our parents don't have any heart specific issues. Appreciate if you could direct me to a specialized doctor for genetic testing and health patterns. Look forward to your response or questions.

#

Thanks for the query madam First line of investigations are ECG and Echocardiography. It is recommended that autopsy should have been done of sudden death victims and genetic analysis. Have ECG and Echocardiography done, and fasting lipid profile. If resting ECG is normal then ECG is done with certain provocative maneuvers and also stress ECG or 24 hours holter monitoring and further if needed CT coronary Angiography.

ECG, ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY, FASTING LIPID PROFILE. THEN STRESS ECG, ECG WITH PROVOCATIVE MANEUVERS, CT ANGIOGRAPHY, ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY STUDIES, GENETIC TESTS

Depending upon cause detected after these tests

|