Q. Why are my heartbeats always very strong?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

I am a 24 year old male, who weighs 78 kg and is 180 cm tall. I do not consume alcohol, but smoke two cigarettes per day. Since the past few years, I feel my heartbeats are very strong. I can feel my heartbeat all the time. I have consulted three cardiologists already for this problem. I got an ultrasound of the heart and an echocardiogram done. The reports said that my heart has thickened to 11 mm. The doctors told me that, it is the result of weightlifting, and that my heart is normal. All the other tests came back negative. Then, why do I feel my heartbeat while resting? I do not eat heavy meals. My doctor told me that I am hypertensive. What does an enlarged heart mean?

#

• You are feeling your heartbeats because of your enlarged and thickened heart.
  • Thickening of the heart is typically seen in athletes. The heart size increases to cope with the increased stress, it is called as physiological cardiac hypertrophy.
  • As a result, the heart beats strongly and at a slower pace, making you aware of the heart beat, 11 mm thickness is fine for hypertrophy. So no need to worry.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|