Q. My cousin's hCG levels have doubled after IUI. Is a viable pregnancy likely?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

My cousin had her last period on the 10th of last month and got IUI done on the 26th. Her hCG levels increased (doubled) in the blood test. Now, at six weeks, she got an ultrasound scan and there is no heartbeat till now. Is it too late? What are the chances of the pregnancy to be viable?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Six weeks can be a little too early a time to diagnose pregnancy by a scan. If the heartbeat is not detected, it is advised to repeat the scan after 10 days to confirm the pregnancy. This is because, at times, there could be a possibility of delayed conception.
  • The other possibility is that it could be a missed abortion. Both of which can be confirmed only after the repeat scan after 10 to 14 days.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

The ultrasound shows the size of the fetus to be at six weeks only. Does it make a difference?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• No, I would still advice to repeat the scan, because, at this gestation, there is nothing else we could do than to wait and watch.
  • So, I would suggest you stay calm and patient and feel positive.

All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you doctor,

I am attaching the reports. Is it six weeks or five weeks?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The result of the scan suggests that the gestational sac of the fetus corresponds to five weeks of pregnancy. As the fetal pole is still not visible, the accurate gestation can only be known after measuring the CRL (crown-rump length) of the fetus, which is the most accurate parameter for determining the gestational age of the pregnancy.
  • The yolk sac has appeared. So, it is a positive sign. The fetus may be in the developmental stage which is not able to be picked by the scan yet. Give it another two weeks for a repeat evaluation by the scan. By then, the fetal pole appears and one can measure the CRL and find out the accurate gestational age.

All the best.

| 

Thank you doctor,

But, is this report normal? I mean, is there a change that it is a viable pregnancy?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I can understand your apprehension.

• This is indeed a pregnancy. So, the outcome would be mostly positive. Only time can tell us. We need to wait for two weeks for the scan to show us anything.
  • Until then, relax. Be positive. Things will be positive.

|