Q. What does cardiomegaly with no evidence of focal infiltrate suggest?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am a 26-year-old female. I recently found out via online test results that I have an enlarged heart, but no reason was given for why it is enlarged or how enlarged it is? The impression is Cardiomegaly with no evidence of focal infiltrate.

I am currently obese but in good health with the exception of this enlarged heart and insulin resistance (not diabetic or insulin-dependent). Is it too late to reverse this heart enlargement with diet, weight loss, and lifestyle changes?

I am currently on Metformin, Xanax and Provera.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Enlarged heart only on chest x-ray is not reliable. X-ray is just like a shadow, the farther you stand from the wall, the larger will be your shadow. In the same way, if you stand away from x-ray film even a few centimeters, it will give an enlarged shadow of heart on the film.

Best way to assess the size of the heart is via echocardiography. Echocardiography is indicated if you have symptoms of shortness of breath not explained from other causes. If you have such symptoms, have echocardiography and ECG done. I hope these will be normal.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »