Q. When does pleural fluid collection occur?

Dr. Deepak Patel
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Feb 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2019

My daughter has pleural infection in lungs. When she was 2 years, decortication was done by open surgery. Now she is four years old. 3 days back she got fever. Though after taking antibiotic her fever subsided, x-ray report showed mild cardiomegaly with bilateral perihilar congestion. Is there again a chance for fluid to get gathered inside her lungs? What should we do for the same? Please advice.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concerns.

Pleural fluid collection occurs when infection persists for long time and is not responding to antibiotics. Pleural fluid collection in past does not increases the chances of collection at a later age.

This time, x- ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows mild cardiomegaly and perihilar congestion. This is not related in any way to lung infection and fluid collection. I suggest you to do an echocardiogram, to see what is the cause for cardiomegaly. Further treatment will depend on echocardiography report.

Is cough with chest congestion something to worry about?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom had cough and cold which continued for a week. We conducted X-ray which indicated too much cough congestion in the chest and TLC count was 18K. One day, due to too much cough she vomited, and she was injected with a medicine to stop it and it worked. Next day, we went abroad for ...  Read Full »