Q. A bulged nerve on my wrist pains on applying pressure. Is it carpal tunnel syndrome?

Dr. Abhay Vikram Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I have a bulged nerve in my right wrist. It causes pain when pressure is applied. It also causes pain in my arm, shoulder, and neck. Due to this, I stopped doing strenuous exercises using that hand. Sometimes, I have consistent pain in it. It aches a lot at night. It causes pain while applying pressure on the right palm on doing yoga. After that, this pain gets extended to my shoulder and neck. I have this issue for five to six years. I never noticed it and I took it casually. I have never consulted a doctor before. But now it is happening frequently. I searched online and it showed a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Please suggest.

#

Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs due to excessive use of wrist in a flexed position. It can occur due to typing keyboards for long hours. It is good to do tests to confirm the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Flex your affected wrist for 30 to 45 seconds and if the tingling sensation travels to the fingers, then the test shows a positive result. A positive test means that the median nerve is occluded by the flexor retinaculum and carpal bones. If the test is negative, then I do not think that you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. I suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon soon and do a proper examination to know the diagnosis.

You can take tablet Diclofenac on SOS (save our soul) basis.

Avoid having movement of the wrist.

Have a follow-up after three days.

|