Q. Does tingling in my hands and legs mean carpal tunnel syndrome or ALS?

Published on Mar 18, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I have tingling in my hands for a few years, and now I am feeling tingling off and on in my feet and legs with occasional inner tremors. I had all my blood work done to test for diabetes, thyroid, vitamin deficiency, CMP and CBC all came back normal. I had an MRI of the brain that came back normal and an EMG/NCV that showed severe carpal tunnel in both hands. I am currently on Metoprolol and Metformin. I also suffer from anxiety. My question is could these be a sign of ALS? I am terrified of that. Could this EMG report show carpal tunnel to be mistaken for ALS? Would ALS show on this test? I also have my report to include the EMG test.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

These symptoms do not look like ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Moreover, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) has been established in your reports. Anxiety and CTS are more than enough to cause these symptoms. So, my recommendation is that you should start on Pregabalin 75 mg along with Nortriptyline 10 mg once at night time for two weeks.The response to medicine would confirm the diagnosis. I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

For more queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Would ALS show in these reports as the carpal tunnel? When you look at the results could it mistakenly say carpal tunnel, but be ALS or does ALS present itself differently on the EMG? Also, what about the legs and feet tingling? What could that be caused by? What nerves affect the legs and feet and where is the location? And what causes inner tremors or the entire body to feel shaky? Is this something serious? I am really worried.

#

No, NCV (nerve conduction velocity) test or EMG (electromyography) will not show carpal tunnel syndrome when it is ALS. ALS does not present with symmetrical neuropathy altogether. It mostly involves voluntary muscles like talking, chewing, and walking initially. Moreover, it progresses over the time.

So, make it sure I need following details to comment further. Is it progressing? If yes, within how much time? What medicines are you taking? Any problems in chewing or talking? However, I feel it is just CTS and Anxiety, but I need these details to be sure. Hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Does opiate withdrawal cause nausea, low BP, muscle pain and urea smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old female recovering from eating disorder. My BMI is 16. I am suffering from clinical depression and GAD. I was diagnosed by a neurologist with migraines approximately two years ago, and have been on Lyrica 75 mg twice daily. Recently, I started having trouble swallowi...  Read Full »

Can Metrogyl cause tingling sensation in hands and feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I took the antibiotic Metrogyl for a bacterial vaginosis infection. It was a 7-day course which I completed four days back. Since then, I have had a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and a sort of achy numbness in my arms and legs. I had a blood test a week ago for something els...  Read Full »

What causes tingling feeling when urinating?

Query: Hello doctor, I suddenly feel a tingling sensation after urination and a slight prick sort of a thing. I visited a doctor for the same and had been diagnosed with a urine infection. I also have a constant urge to urinate. He gave a dose of antibiotics which I had to take for three da...  Read Full »