HomeAnswersNeurologycarpal tunnel syndromeMy dad has been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome nine months ago. What is the treatment for it?

What is the treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 6, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 6, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My dad is 87 years old. He is in good health. He has been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome via an EMG (electromyography). Here are the results of the test:

  1. Right carpal tunnel of severe degree with chronic Wallerian degeneration.
  2. Left carpal tunnel of severe degree with chronic Wallerian degeneration.
  3. Chronic radiculopathy of C8 on both sides.
  4. Chronic radiculopathy of C5 on the right side.
  5. Polyneuropathy or motor and sensory types involving the upper extremities without acute nor chronic involvement.

He has had this for about nine months. He was evaluated by one doctor who tried a steroid injection in one hand that did not help. The doctor at first said carpal tunnel surgery would not help. Then said that it might help. We are taking him to a second doctor on Thursday, but we would like your thoughts on this. He has been in this condition for only nine months and it just started getting bad over the last six months. Keeping ice packs does offer some relief.

What is your opinion on treatment? Kindly help.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Aida Abaz Quka


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern and would explain that hand surgery for carpal tunnel can help especially if pain and numbness are more prominent during the night and he experiences severe electrical pain (Tinel's sign - the tingling or “pins and needles” feeling you get when your healthcare provider taps your skin over a nerve, on the carpal tunnel). Tinel's sign may be an indicator that you have nerve compression or damage where they are tapping and indicates that surgery is needed to decompress the nerve.

Considering the radiculopathy, I suggest performing a cervical spine MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) too, in order to investigate for a disk herniation in this region, which would need a steroid shot in the nerve root, near the cervical column too.

I hope you will find this information helpful. I remain at your disposal in case of further questions whenever you need me.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
Dr. Aida Abaz Quka


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy