Q. Is it alright to have sex three days after a laser eye surgery?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Sep 06, 2017

I had a pan-retinal photocoagulation laser (PRP laser) in my retina about three or four days ago. Can I have sexual intercourse after this treatment or is it safer to wait?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• You can involve in sexual activities. This particular laser treatment has no relation with intercourse.

I hope this helps. Regards.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Are you 100 % sure? Because I do not want to take any risk at all.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• It is definitely safe to have normal sex after a retinal laser as it will not have any side effects.
  • But, having said that, you did not mention the cause for PRP. Why were you recommended a pan-retinal photocoagulation at this age?
  • Kindly share the diagnosis for which the pan-retinal photocoagulation was done. This will help me in guiding you better.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

A pan-retinal photocoagulation treatment was done because my doctor said there were retinal tears in my eyes and if I do not get those fixed, there can be a retinal detachment. Please guide me.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• For retinal holes, a barrage laser treatment is done. For retinal tears as well, we do a barrage laser which involves lasering the focal area in front of the tear.
  • Whereas, pan-retinal photocoagulation involves lasering the whole retina and sparing only the central retina. Kindly recheck if a focal barrage laser or a pan-retinal photocoagulation was done. If possible, kindly share your case file and test reports.
  • In the case of a pan-retinal photocoagulation, sex can be enjoyed 24 hours after. But, if there was a retinal tear, we need to decide based on the location and extent of the retinal tear as well as an associated retinal detachment, etc.
  • I can tell you clearly after seeing your reports and the case file. Having said that, softcore sex can still be enjoyed. Avoid athletic sex.

I do not have any medical reports with me. I only know that a pan-retinal photocoagulation was done in both my eyes because my doctor told me I had retinal holes and tears due to being extremely near sighted. Please give me a final opinion if I can have sexual intercourse?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• As mentioned earlier, you can definitely perform softcore sex without fear. Athletic sex can also be performed in the case of a presence of retinal holes. But, if there was a retinal tear, then I would advise you to wait for at least two weeks for athletic sex. Softcore sex, which includes foreplay, penetration, etc. can be enjoyed in any situation even now. Let me summarise it this way.
  • In the case of a retinal hole:
  1. Softcore sex: Yes.
  2. Athletic sex: Yes.
  • In the case of a retinal tear:
  1. Softcore sex: Yes.
  2. Athletic sex: Avoid for at least two weeks.

I hope this will answer your query. Regards.

Why do I suddenly see large floaters in my eye?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. Suddenly, I am having large floaters in my eyes. Is it possible that it will decrease with time? How long will it take to decrease?  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »

How common is it to have a -12 eyesight in a 19 year old?

Query: Hello doctor, I am only 19. I am -12.00 in both the eyes. It is even higher than my mom's. Is this common, and is it very high? I saw the eye doctor and he said my eyes were healthy but the high prescription is worrying. I do not believe I see anything different other than some floaters when I turn...  Read Full »