Q. Despite being shortsighted, I can see better without glasses. How?

Dr. Anand
Published on Aug 10, 2016

I am 68 years old. I am moderately shortsighted, but still I can see better without my progressive glasses. How is it possible? I have been told that I would not need glasses in the days of less reading. I can go for hours in the morning before I realize that I do not have my glasses on. I can see better in bright sunlight without any photochromic lens and sunglass clip ons. This applies to road sign reading and everything. I can often see television better within 10 feet or so without glasses. But, I definitely need my glasses at night to see well.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• It is due to age-related cataract formation. Cataract is a normal age-related change in lens leading to opacities and hardness.
  • Cataract of certain types causes changes in glass power; it can decrease in some people and increase in others depending on the type. It is advantage if the glass power decreases
  • Regarding better vision in sunlight, it is also due variety of cataract in which peripheral part opacities are more. In sunlight, your pupils constrict and the central part transmits light without disturbances from peripheral part.
  • Anyway, it is an advantage for you and it will delay your need for cataract surgery.
  • You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more suggestions.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Is there any treatment for corneal scar?

Query: Hi doctor,One month ago, some iron particle fell into my left eye. When I went to the hospital, they said that there is a scar on the front of the pupil. Also, I was informed that there is no treatment for that. Please tell me some solution.  Read Full »

Why do I have eye pain even after using new glasses?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dry eyes problem since last four years due to regular eight hours computer use. There is burning also sometimes and reading puts stress on eyes. I consulted a doctor and started using Softdrops daily 3 to 4 times before computer use, and taking Retinox tablets periodically...  Read Full »

Why do I have blurred vision while using contact lens?

Query: Hi doctor, My eye power for the glass on the left eye is cyl - 0.75 with 10 axis and on the right eye is cyl - 2 with 170 axis. I am using contact lenses. But, I have a problem when I insert the lenses. I feel blurred vision in the left eye. I am using contact lens with power cyl - 1.75 with 170 axi...  Read Full »