Q. Can laser be used to treat eye floaters and retinal tears?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Agarwal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Retinal Tears or Laser Eye Surgery? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 29 years old. I have eye floaters in both my eyes. I am suffering from nearsightedness, and I have retinal tears. I consulted several doctors, but I did not get proper answers. The topic of eye floaters is not studied well in my country. My ophthalmologist says that I should do nothing and wait, just have a systematic evaluation of my eyes. I also consulted a laser eye surgeon. He offered me to get LASIK surgery at first, but he also did not give me definite and concise answers. The floaters almost poison my life. I am really close to a depression. My occupation is connected with computers, so I have to work on it for a long time every day. The last time, my eye floaters become more and more bothersome, and it seems to me that their number is gradually increasing. They are of different forms and sizes.

I read a lot of information about the possible eye floaters treatment. To be honest, I am afraid of vitrectomy, as it is extremely risky. Laser treatment is more preferable, but I got to know that the patients of my age are not treatable by means of laser procedure. In this case, I have got some questions to ask. What should I do to stop the increasing of my eye floaters? Should I follow my ophthalmologist's advice and do nothing? Are there any successful cases of eye floaters treatment among the patients of my age by laser? Can I have a laser treatment of eye floaters when I become older or this type of eye floaters can never be treated by laser?