Q. Can laser be used to treat eye floaters and retinal tears?

Answered by
Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am 29 years old. I have eye floaters in both my eyes. I am suffering from nearsightedness, and I have retinal tears. I consulted several doctors, but I did not get proper answers. The topic of eye floaters is not studied well in my country. My ophthalmologist says that I should do nothing and wait, just have a systematic evaluation of my eyes. I also consulted a laser eye surgeon. He offered me to get LASIK surgery at first, but he also did not give me definite and concise answers. The floaters almost poison my life. I am really close to a depression. My occupation is connected with computers, so I have to work on it for a long time every day. The last time, my eye floaters become more and more bothersome, and it seems to me that their number is gradually increasing. They are of different forms and sizes.

I read a lot of information about the possible eye floaters treatment. To be honest, I am afraid of vitrectomy, as it is extremely risky. Laser treatment is more preferable, but I got to know that the patients of my age are not treatable by means of laser procedure. In this case, I have got some questions to ask. What should I do to stop the increasing of my eye floaters? Should I follow my ophthalmologist's advice and do nothing? Are there any successful cases of eye floaters treatment among the patients of my age by laser? Can I have a laser treatment of eye floaters when I become older or this type of eye floaters can never be treated by laser?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • I understand your problem but do not be depressed, because everybody has to pass this phase of vitreous floaters. Some have it early due to myopia, and some have it in old age. These are definitely bothering, but it should settle and will take their own time. There is no treatment.
  • But since you have mention retinal tears and you are symptomatic, I would suggest you go for laser treatment. Otherwise, you will land up in retinal detachment. Laser treatment will be done for a retinal tear, but indirectly they will reduce floaters also.

I have many patients like, and I have treated them also. Your age is no problem.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is laser hair removal safe for someone with acne?

.. is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise. Let me explain to you how this laser works: When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment...   Read full

Is it alright to have sex three days after a laser eye surgery?

.. involve in sexual activities. This particular laser treatment has no relation with intercourse. I hope this helps. Regards. For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> .. ...   Read full

Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

.. through your query. Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.