Q. Can laser be used to treat eye floaters and retinal tears?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal
Published on Jul 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 29 years old. I have eye floaters in both my eyes. I am suffering from nearsightedness, and I have retinal tears. I consulted several doctors, but I did not get proper answers. The topic of eye floaters is not studied well in my country. My ophthalmologist says that I should do nothing and wait, just have a systematic evaluation of my eyes. I also consulted a laser eye surgeon. He offered me to get LASIK surgery at first, but he also did not give me definite and concise answers. The floaters almost poison my life. I am really close to a depression. My occupation is connected with computers, so I have to work on it for a long time every day. The last time, my eye floaters become more and more bothersome, and it seems to me that their number is gradually increasing. They are of different forms and sizes.

I read a lot of information about the possible eye floaters treatment. To be honest, I am afraid of vitrectomy, as it is extremely risky. Laser treatment is more preferable, but I got to know that the patients of my age are not treatable by means of laser procedure. In this case, I have got some questions to ask. What should I do to stop the increasing of my eye floaters? Should I follow my ophthalmologist's advice and do nothing? Are there any successful cases of eye floaters treatment among the patients of my age by laser? Can I have a laser treatment of eye floaters when I become older or this type of eye floaters can never be treated by laser?

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• I understand your problem but do not be depressed, because everybody has to pass this phase of vitreous floaters. Some have it early due to myopia, and some have it in old age. These are definitely bothering, but it should settle and will take their own time. There is no treatment.
  • But since you have mention retinal tears and you are symptomatic, I would suggest you go for laser treatment. Otherwise, you will land up in retinal detachment. Laser treatment will be done for a retinal tear, but indirectly they will reduce floaters also.

I have many patients like, and I have treated them also. Your age is no problem.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Why am I noticing peripheral flashes with eye floaters?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three weeks, I have had my normal right eye floaters seem strange. I noticed peripheral flashes when blinking and walking and quick black narrow lines. I saw an ophthalmologist. He found the retina to be fine. I now have some flashes around peripheral in the right eye and...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hollow of the eye is filled with vitreous jelly. With aging, the jelly starts to liquify and separates from its attachments to the retina. This results in a little tug on the retina, resulting in flashes. This phenomenon is known as posterior vitreous detachment or ...  Read Full

What is the cause for eye floaters problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 56 years old male. I have eye floaters problem. I have blood pressure. I am taking tablets for it.  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Rathi
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The floaters in the front of the eye indicate disease in the posterior segment of the eye that is retina or vitreous. As you have raised blood pressure, though you are taking medication, you have an increased chance of having retina and vitreous problems. You can get yo...  Read Full

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Masturbation will not have any adverse effect on laser treatment of retina or retina. There may be a minimal increase of intraocular pressure with masturbation but that must be non-significant. Kindly share the file to guide you better.  Read Full