Q. Is laser treatment safe for acne scars?

Dr. Aditi
Published on Dec 08, 2016

I am 26 years old. For the last six months, I am facing mild to moderate acne, which has resulted in scarring. Please provide your opinion as to which cosmetic treatment should I opt. Though I have consulted a cosmetologist, I am a bit reluctant to go for these procedures due to its potential side effects. I have a thin face, so I want to go for dermal fillers to get a fuller look. Are these fillers safe? Which filler would be the best for the long-term? Also, I have got mild acne on the back and scars as well. Please provide a solution for this and suggest me the course of action of the cosmetic treatment and fillers.

Dr. Aditi

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• For acne, in your age group, it is always important to rule out PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). To find that out, you need to tell me whether you have irregular periods.
  • How many days does your period date shift from the expected date? Do you get any hair growth in facial areas like upper lips or chin?
  • Fillers are of different types depending on the area to be treated such as tear trough (under eyes), lips, cheeks, etc.
  • Nowadays, all doctors prefer to use semi-permanent fillers because of their advantages. These typically last for a year on an average.

Revert with the answers to the questions to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Yes, I am facing irregularity in periods as in the period date shifts from 4 to 5 days from the expected date. Is this normal? I mean four to five-day shift (period comes after due date). But, no hair growth on chin and upper lips. I went up for an ultrasound, and there was a possibility of PCOD, and it has already been taken care of as I am on an ayurveda treatment. Also, I was under prolonged stress for the last five months. Still, I would like to know from your end what else can be done to control acne. As far as acne scars are concerned, please suggest the cosmetic treatment that I can take. Are chemical peels, lasers, and dermarollers safe? Do chemical peels cause burning as I have some red marks on the face left behind by acne and minor pits? Regarding dermal fillers, I want to go for it around the jawline, cheeks and under eyes. Can I take both these treatments together? If not, then what should be the course of action? Please share all the potential side effects that these procedures can cause and suggest the right dermal filler. Do I need to renew these dermal fillers every year?

Dr. Aditi

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• For scars, you can go for any of the treatments ranging from peels, micro-needling (dermarollers) or lasers. I prefer a combination usually.
  • Yes, lasers are safe if the right skin preparation is done along with the correct parameters for your skin type.
  • However, in addition to stimulating the natural collagen and hyaluronic substances present in the skin, the fillers also encourage the production of these materials. So, even after your artificial fillers are absorbed, it is after boosting your natural fillers present in the skin.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have started my acne scar treatment. I have undergone two sittings of microdermabrasion + dermapen + lactic acid peel on a gap of 10 days. There are few concerns.Please resolve those concerns and provide a second opinion. Along with the topical treatment, my doctor is giving me supplements like zinc acetate and Evion (vitamin E) for first 10 days and multivitamin tablets for the next 10 days. But, I am already on some ayurveda medicines like Ashokarishtam, Shatavri gulam, and Kumaravyasam. Could these supplements interfere with the ayurvedic medicines? Will these supplements cause the side effect as I have heard about zinc toxicity?

I did not see improvement even after getting two sittings, and the peel they are using is very mild. The skin does not get the peel off physically. My dermatologist suggested me to go with four to five sittings and then they will go for ultra pulse fractional Co2 laser. Is this laser ablative and unsafe? What will be the downtime? Which laser is best for treatment?

I asked for dermal fillers, but my doctor does not inject fillers. As per her, there are so many side effects with the artificial fillers.But, I am keen to go for it. Also, my doctor prescribed me Isotretinoin a dose of 20 mg daily, which I am reluctant to take. Shall I continue treatment without taking this medicine? Will it affect the cosmetic procedure?

Dr. Aditi

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I will be answering each of your query individually.

• I prefer that if a patient is on the ayurvedic treatment, they finish it first and then start my therapy because I do not know the ayurvedic medicines and their interaction. So, it would avoid the confusion just in case you develop some reaction to ayurvedic medication or allopathic drugs, in a rare occurrence. In any case, you should keep both your allopathic and ayurvedic doctors in the picture about your respective treatment.
  • You will not notice a difference so fast. Acne scar treatment takes at least six to eight months to see a difference. You need not notice a physical peel, and it does not mean the peel is not working. Lactic peels are mild, but they work.
  • Fractional lasers are non-ablative, so you can continue the treatment. Do not worry; every machine has different downtime. You can discuss the same with your doctor.
  • You can search for a doctor who does inject fillers. Also, allow the doctor to assess your face and go for it only if the doctor thinks it will benefit you.
  • Isotretinoin is a safe medicine if you follow up with the doctor regularly.

First of all thanks for all the valuable suggestions and opinion that is helping me in my treatment. I wrongly mentioned that I am getting lactic acid peels. I went up for four sessions of yellow peels (retinoid) along with microdermabrasion and dermapens in a gap of 10 days. But, till now there is almost no or very very less improvement. After every dermapen session, pimples pop out. Is this normal? Can dermapen be done on active acne? My blackheads and whiteheads remain the same. Now the doctor is asking me to go for UltraPulse Lumenis fractional Co2 laser on both cheeks. Please tell me the possible side effects of this laser. And, what could be the alternate option? Does getting peels make the skin thin as I am experiencing the same?

Dr. Aditi

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• Dermapen can cause pimples occasionally, and that is reversible.
  • Peels do not cause thinning of the skin. In fact, it increases the collagen content of the skin and improves the skin thickness.
  • Only the topmost layer of dead skin (stratum corneum) is thinned out, which is beneficial for acne. Because in a pimple prone skin abnormally thick stratum corneum is responsible for acne production. So, peels are good for your skin in the long run, if you follow the post-procedure care well.
  • Laser can be done for scars. There are very few chances of side effects, which are also often temporary. Never-the-less you can discuss those with your dermatologist before going for the procedure. Take care.

Why is my face darker than the rest of my body?

Query: Hello doctor, The color of the skin on my face is too dark when compared to the skin on my nose, cheeks, and rest of my body. How can I restore the original color on my face?  Read Full >>

Dr. Suvina Attavar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The skin often darkens due to tanning under the effect of UV (ultraviolet) rays. I would strongly recommend using a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30. The sunscreen has to be applied at least half an hour before you go out and has to be reapplied every four hours till ...  Read Full

Striae or Stretch Marks

Article Overview: Striae or stretch marks are common during puberty and pregnancy. This article discusses the causes and management of this cosmetically concerned disease. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Striae are visible linear scars, which form due to over stretching of skin. It usually occurs due to dermal damage in over stretched skin. Many factors play a role like hormones (corticosteroids), mechanical stress and genetic predisposition. It usually develops between the age of 5-50 years. Durin...  Read Article

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having seen your PCOS reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggested that you should opt for controlled ovarian stimulation and intrauterine insemination procedure. It will increase your chance of conception by 20 percent as it would r...  Read Full