Q. I have blurred vision with tears falling from my eyes for no reason. Why?

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

I am a 66-year-old diabetic man. My wife passed away a year ago. I have been suffering from diabetes for the last 30 years. I am even hypertensive. I regularly take insulin for diabetes and also many other medications for diabetes and hypertension. For the last few days, I was having a problem with my eyesight. I had tears falling from my eyes for no reason. I even had blurred vision. I consulted with a local opthalmologist of my locality. He had examined my eyes properly and had asked me to do scanning of my eyes. When I followed up with my reports, I was informed that the doctor is now out of the station and will return after a few months. As I am quite tensed now with my eye problem, I can no longer wait. So I am sending you my eye reports for your reference. Please let me know if my eye problem is critical or not. Please also prescribe me the requisite treatment for my present eye problem.

#

I totally understand your concern. I saw all your test reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your eyes are quite healthy for your age. You need new glasses as prescribed. With that, your vision will be absolutely clear. You have an early cataract in both eyes. That would require surgery after, say, 4 to 5 years once it matures. You do not have any diabetic or hypertensive changes in your retina, which is very good. Just keep control of your sugar levels, so this thing remains the same. The only concern is your disc is suspicious of glaucoma. The test for that has not been performed here. But the doctor has started the medicine for that. I would advise you to start the medications as prescribed and get the OCT (Optical coherence tomography), RNFL (retinal nerve fiber layer), IOP (intraocular pressure), pachymetry, and perimeter test to confirm the diagnosis of glaucoma.

|