Q. Is a child diagnosed with cerebral palsy considered as disabled?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Aug 28, 2017

This girl's left side of the body is not working properly. She cannot hold or pick things from her left hand. She cannot move her left thumb. She walks on her left toes. She cannot stand straight without support on her legs. Attached are the MRI findings. Please tell me whether this is a condition of cerebral palsy. And if yes, of which kind and whether this girl is medically normal?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• This looks like an old ischemic insult to the brain which has lead to cerebral palsy with hemiparesis. Unfortunately, this is an incurable condition, but with proper and long term physiotherapy some changes and improvements can be seen.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Thanks a lot for your kind and prompt reply. So, can this child be categorized as a case of physical disability?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Yes, it is a sort of physical disability to some extent.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Actually, this girl belongs to an orphanage from where adoption takes place. A parent applied for a normal child. That is the reason I asked.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• You can go through the paperwork done for adoption to know more in detail about what category of adoption the child falls into.

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

For extramedullary lesion, does the patient need surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is diagnosed to have partial agenesis of corpus callosum and colpocephaly. Also, there is late onset of seizures with nodular intradural extramedullary lesion seen at L1 body and L1-L2 disc level with significant conus and caudal compression or displacement to the left side. ...  Read Full »

How to manage lung infection and paralysis after gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt had faced an operation of her gallbladder and the doctor said that she is good and the operation is successful. But after 3 days she faced lung infection, on which the current report says that the virus are reduced from 35000 to 16500 in 5 days. Also her right hand and right leg ...  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now