Q. Is a child diagnosed with cerebral palsy considered as disabled?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2022

I am attaching details of a girl. Her left side of the body is not working properly. She cannot hold or pick things from her left hand. She cannot move her left thumb. She walks on her left toes. She cannot stand straight without support on her legs. Attached are the MRI findings. Please tell me whether this is a condition of cerebral palsy. And if yes, of which kind and whether this girl is medically normal?

#

This looks like an old ischemic insult to the brain, which has led to cerebral palsy with hemiparesis. Unfortunately, this is an incurable condition, but some changes and improvements can be seen with proper and long-term physiotherapy.

Thanks a lot for your kind and prompt reply. So, can this child be categorized as a case of physical disability?

#

• Yes, it is a sort of physical disability to some extent.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Actually, this girl belongs to an orphanage from where adoption takes place. A parent applied for a normal child. That is the reason I asked.

#

• You can go through the paperwork done for adoption to know more in detail about what category of adoption the child falls into.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|