Q. Does presence of fluid in brain require a surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

Hello doctor,

My sister is suffering from head pain since one month. She usually have head pain when she wakes up from bed, which gradually gets alright after a while. She is taking Dynapar for pain. The reports of CT scan and MRI shows everything normal. She consulted a few doctors, some suggested surgery of her brain has to be done and some say it can be cured with medicine. Doctors say that there is a fluid in her brain. I want to know, is there an alternate way to cure this with a medicine? If yes, then will it get cured completely? Or will it recur? Pain is on the backside of her head. I am attaching her x-ray, MRI and CT scan reports for your reference. Please provide the best way to cure this. Thank you.

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

We are here to help you. I have gone through your sister's reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

  • I understand your pain for your sister. But, your doctors are guiding you in the right way.
  • Your sister needs surgery for the same that too shunt surgery.
  • I know it is difficult to accept. But, yes you have to accept and work on this. I hope it helps you.

For further clarifications consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:


Differential diagnosis:


Probable diagnosis:


Treatment plan:


Preventive measures:


Regarding follow up:


Was this answer helpful?


Hello doctor,

Is the surgery risky? I would like to know, what is meant by shunt surgery?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Yes, every surgery is a risk. We need to accept the challenge as we have no other option.
  • The shunt surgery means a placement of shunt that would make the collected cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow through that way.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is surgery possible for cryptorchidism in a 25-year-old male?

Query: Hi doctor,My husband and I have been trying to have kids. He has cryptorchidism. He did some test already they said the undescended testes is better than the descended on and it has a good blood supply. Is the surgery still possible? He is 25 years old now. What are our chances of having a baby afte...  Read Full »

Which is better for moderate OS ASD - medicines or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, we came to know that my mother has a congenital heart disease (moderate OS ASD with left to right shunt) at the age of 46. And we consulted the doctors. One of them said it can be cured by medicines and another said surgery will be a better option. So, please help us as soon as...  Read Full »

Does the surgery is needed for nasal polyp?

Query: Hi doctor, I visited an ENT two weeks ago for a check-up after noticing my tinnitus which I have had for more than a decade was slightly worse in one ear. He did an audiogram and balance tests and said my hearing was fine and not affected by the tinnitus, and that the cause was extra-cranial. He su...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.