Q. Which is better for moderate OS ASD - medicines or surgery?

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Recently, we came to know that my mother has a congenital heart disease (moderate OS ASD with left to right shunt) at the age of 46. And we consulted the doctors. One of them said it can be cured by medicines and another said surgery will be a better option. So, please help us as soon as possible.

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

OS ASD (ostium secundum atrial septal defect) cannot be cured by medicines.

Because it is diagnosed at 46 years, we need to close it. If she would be above 65 years of age, we could have left it.

If we do not close it now, it will increase symptoms like breathing difficulty, etc.

There are two options for closure:

1. Surgical.
  2. Device closure (only can be done in suitable cases).

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|