Q. I am having heaviness of head and neck stiffness. What is causing it?

Published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 20, 2019

I am a 31 year old female and yet to conceive. Since 9 months I have been facing heaviness of head and stiffness of neck. Sometimes the heaviness of head becomes extreme and I feel it is spinning even at the slightest movement of neck and it is accompanied with bowel movements. I feel that I may faint and the feeling subsides only after passing normal stool. Since 9 months these incidents used to happen on a daily basis especially during the office hours but now it is happening at the rate of one to two times per week. I did MRI brain, cervical spine and ECG of heart. Everything turned out to be normal except detection of mild scoliosis of neck. In the morning when I wake up I do not feel so bad but as the day progresses my stiffness of neck and heavy headedness increases.

Orthopedist told me that I am having cervical vertigo, neurologist told me that I am having posture problems, GP told me that I am suffering from phobic disorder (assured). Now I have a few questions. Am I suffering from any gastrointestinal disorder? (sometimes lower abdomen pains but there is no loss of appetite). Do I have cervical arthritis and can it cause gas problems? Is it possible for intestinal gas to hit the brain? In such cases when bowel is not passed at right time can a patient die? Am I suffering from any cervical spondylosis?

Cracking sound is heard when I move my head too much and head spins too. And sometimes it seems as though I am losing balance from ground. When I get up after sound sleep of 6 hours, I do not feel bad but as the day progresses my tightness of head, stiffness of neck, spinning motion and losing of balance starts. Cervical spine MRI shows a convexity to the right where a small central posterior disc bulge at C5-C6 indenting the thecal sac is seen. There is no cord compression or central canal stenosis. While at home I do not feel so bad but in confined space of office my head starts to spin, back of head feels tight, I feel my motion is restricted and the balance from ground seems to get lost. Am I suffering from any life-threatening disease?

#

Thanks for your query on this platform.

Relax! You are not suffering from any life-threatening disease.

• Neither are you suffering from any gastrointestinal problems except occasionally which is normal and could be due to mild gastritis. Cervical arthritis cannot cause gas problems.
  • Intestinal gas cannot hit the brain because that is impossible as gas is confined to intestines and stomach and there is no connection or pathway between brain, stomach and intestine. Brain is altogether present in different body cavity called as skull.
  • Your MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) clearly states that you have posterior intervertebral disc protrusion at fifth and sixth cervical vertebrae combined with your mild neck scoliosis.
  • I would agree with your neurologist who states that you have postural problems because your symptoms are aggravated when there is stress on your neck due to wrong postures.
  • Cracking sounds could be due to vertebrae sliding over each other due to disc abnormality and causing muscle spasm and leading to pain and stiffness.
  • Treatment is to take rest, physiotherapy and medication. You can wear a cervical collar. I would suggest you to consult a neurologist for further treatment, management and physical evaluation. Avoid straining your neck in office.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Can knee arthroscopy cause scoliosis and pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I have mild scoliosis convex to the left and was wondering if a left knee arthroscopy can be the cause of my posture and/or pain issues. For example, sitting, standing. Also, having scoliosis, would that cause a blood clot (pulmonary embolism) after this surgery? With being a severe ast...  Read Full »

My nose is always blocked. What can I do to get relief?

Query: Hi doctor, My nose is always blocked. No matter, how many times I blow it, little comes out and I still have the feeling of blockage. What can I do? I am taking tablets for blood pressure.  Read Full »

What can be done for post-ejaculation muscle spasms and nerve irritation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been struggling with chronic prostatitis or CPPS for the past five months. A big issue I have been having is the post-ejaculation muscle spasms or nerve irritation. I am currently in physical therapy to work out the muscle tension or spasms and hoping that helps with the nerve irr...  Read Full »