Q. Due to cervical spondylosis, will I have problem during pregnancy?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Feb 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31 year old female. For the past one year, I am suffering from heaviness of head and neck stiffness. Even though I am living my normal life, sometimes the heaviness of head becomes extreme. I feel it is spinning even at the slightest movement of neck and it is accompanied by bowel movements. I feel that I may faint and the feeling subsides only after passing the stool. It is only normal stool in most cases. Initially, this incident used to happen on daily basis especially during the office hours. Now, it is happening at the rate of one to two times per week. I did MRI of brain, and cervical spine and also had an echocardiogram. Everything came out to be normal except detection of mild scoliosis of neck. In the morning when I wake up I do not feel so bad, but as the day progresses my stiffness of neck and heavy headedness increases. Orthopedician told me that I am facing cervical vertigo while the neurologist said it as posture problems and GP diagnosed it as phobic disorder. Am I suffering from any gastrointestinal disorder? Sometimes, I have lower abdomen pain and it usually goes away in a day or two, but there is no loss of appetite. Can cervical arthritis cause gas problems? Is it possible for intestinal gas to hit the brain? In such cases when bowel is not passed at right time can patient die? Do I have cervical spondylosis? Cracking sound is heard when I move my head too much and head spins too. Sometimes, it seems balance is losing from ground. Cervical spine MRI shows with convexity to the right a small central posterior disc bulge at C5-C6 indenting the thecal sac. There is no cord compression or central canal stenosis. While at home I do not feel so bad but in confined space of office my head starts to spin, back of head feels tight and I feel my motion is restricted. Please help.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

According to the history and information given by you, my answers are as follows:

It does not look like you have a gastrointestinal disorder. But, better is to get an ultrasonography of your abdomen and rule it out.

In cervical spine you have only a small disc. So, it is just the start of arthritis and it does not cause gas problems.

Intestinal gas does not hit the brain. If the bowel is not passed for so many days then there is a chance of infection and patient can die. But, two to three days does not matter.

You have only early cervical spondylosis and it seems that you have vertigo. So, you need to be treated for vertigo.

Also, you will need core, shoulder and neck strengthening exercises to support your head. So that you will not get vertigo due to cervical spine problems.

You should just visit doctor and take tablets for vertigo and then start physiotherapy initially for a period of three weeks.

Revert back after three weeks to a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

Thanks for the detailed follow up. As you told it is the start of cervical arthritis or spondylosis, Will it lead to any permanent disability? If I take regular exercises then can I get cured from further progression of the disease? I am trying to conceive now. Due to my above mentioned health issue will I have problem during pregnancy? I am in a job for which I am outside for 11 hours and I have sound sleep of 6 hours at night. Is the mild scoliosis a serious one? I was prescribed to have Stemetil-MD for vertigo by an orthopedician, but it did not help much. What to do?

Dr. Lokesh

#

Just like your hair grays with age, cervical spondylosis will also increase with age.

It is just an aging disease and so do not worry about it.

• Regular exercises will help to reduce the rate of cervical spondylosis.
  • Now you should consult a neurologist or general medicine physician and take tablets prescribed by him or her. Also consult your gynecologist and inform about the medicines prescribed.
  • It is not much of an orthopedic problem. Just follow up after consultation with these two doctors. I am sure you will do well.

For further information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st...  Read Article

How can arthritis be confirmed?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly confirm if I am arthritic from the available reports.  Read Full »

Cataract Surgery FAQ - Eye Health

Article Overview: No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging, is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. In this article, I try to answer commonly asked questions from cataract patients. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. Here I have dealt with questions that cataract patients commonly ask me. How do I know that I have developed cataract? Almost eve...  Read Article

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now