Q. I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Nov 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

Hello doctor,

I had pain in my left ear and I went to an ENT specialist. He said that my ears are fine and there is no infection. He said that I have soreness in my TMJ joint as I have a tendency to sleep on my left side with my left arm tucked under the pillow. That puts pressure on my TMJ joint and the pain is radiating to my ear. He gave me a cream (Voveran) and a muscle relaxant (Etoshine MR). The pain has subsided, but I get a clicking or crackling sound in my ear sometimes when I am relaxed and doing nothing or sometimes when I swallow. Is the crackling because of the TMJ soreness? Will it go away on its own? There is no wax in my ear. My ears are cleaned.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• It can be because of two reasons:
  1. Due to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. For that, you can do dry hot fomentation and eat soft foods preferably from the other side.
  2. It can be due to a nose block or a mild infection. Put decongestant nose drops like Otrivin (Xylometazoline), two drops three times for five days and do Valsalva exercise (ten times a day) for which you will have to try to forcefully blow out air from your nose with your mouth closed and pinching your nose.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Will it go away on its own with time?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• If your ear examination was normal, then it will go away.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What is the treatment for tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I am having tinnitus in my right ear. My PTA hearing test says R - 17 dB and L - 10 dB. My doctor informed me that there is slight nerve damage and it is causing tinnitus and slight hearing loss. He said that there is no cure for it. Please help.  Read Full »

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 44 year old female, mother of 2, 165 cm tall and 75 kg weight. Two months ago, I fell ill with a bad flu (may have been also an acute viral infection) with high temp (39 degrees), probable inflammation in the sinuses, nose, and throat and sinuses pain. The first antibiotic (Klaci...  Read Full »

Why am I having a painful swelling in my upper eyelid?

Query: Hello doctor, There is swelling in my left eye upper lid. There is a pain and small pimple from inside at the corner for last two days. Currently, I am using Nevanac and Pataday eye drops.  Read Full »