Q. I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

Hello doctor,

I had pain in my left ear and I went to an ENT specialist. He said that my ears are fine and there is no infection. He said that I have soreness in my TMJ joint as I have a tendency to sleep on my left side with my left arm tucked under the pillow. That puts pressure on my TMJ joint and the pain is radiating to my ear. He gave me a cream (Voveran) and a muscle relaxant (Etoshine MR). The pain has subsided, but I get a clicking or crackling sound in my ear sometimes when I am relaxed and doing nothing or sometimes when I swallow. Is the crackling because of the TMJ soreness? Will it go away on its own? There is no wax in my ear. My ears are cleaned.

#

• It can be because of two reasons:
  1. Due to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. For that, you can do dry hot fomentation and eat soft foods preferably from the other side.
  2. It can be due to a nose block or a mild infection. Put decongestant nose drops like Otrivin (Xylometazoline), two drops three times for five days and do Valsalva exercise (ten times a day) for which you will have to try to forcefully blow out air from your nose with your mouth closed and pinching your nose.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Will it go away on its own with time?

#

• If your ear examination was normal, then it will go away.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|