Q. Why had my doctor suggested Dydrogesterone tablet for a month?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I did not get my periods last month. The actual due date was 15, but on the 22nd I got spotted. Then, I had a strip test, which came as positive. After four days, I went to my doctor for spotting and pain. My ultrasound report showed less than 5 weeks of pregnancy. There is no fetal sac and irregular gestational sac with 4.7 cm sized cyst. She prescribed me Tranexamic acid for three days and Dydrogesterone for a month. While taking Tranexamic acid, I got fresh blood for around three to four times. I just want to know if my pregnancy is safe. Shall I continue Dydrogesterone tablet? Should I go for another ultrasound after spotting has reduced? Please guide me. I had two pregnancies before. My first daughter is 9 years old and my other one is 6 years. But, I do not have this problem before.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The absence of fetal pole and irregular sac on ultrasound are an indicative of a chemical pregnancy. But, less than 5 weeks gestation is not to be considered as definite time to decide chemical pregnancy.
  • Fetal heart rate and fetal pole have been seen arriving even by 8th or 9th week of gestation. Hence, you have been given Dydrogesterone for next one month to support pregnancy if it is viable.
  • If even by the 8th week fetal pole does not arrive, then you may get a dilation and curettage done to remove the pregnancy.
  • The next ultrasound should be after the bleeding stops and at least two weeks post last ultrasound.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|