Q. Why had my doctor suggested Dydrogesterone tablet for a month?

Published on Oct 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I did not get my periods last month. The actual due date was 15, but on the 22nd I got spotted. Then, I had a strip test, which came as positive. After four days, I went to my doctor for spotting and pain. My ultrasound report showed less than 5 weeks of pregnancy. There is no fetal sac and irregular gestational sac with 4.7 cm sized cyst. She prescribed me Tranexamic acid for three days and Dydrogesterone for a month. While taking Tranexamic acid, I got fresh blood for around three to four times. I just want to know if my pregnancy is safe. Shall I continue Dydrogesterone tablet? Should I go for another ultrasound after spotting has reduced? Please guide me. I had two pregnancies before. My first daughter is 9 years old and my other one is 6 years. But, I do not have this problem before.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The absence of fetal pole and irregular sac on ultrasound are an indicative of a chemical pregnancy. But, less than 5 weeks gestation is not to be considered as definite time to decide chemical pregnancy.
  • Fetal heart rate and fetal pole have been seen arriving even by 8th or 9th week of gestation. Hence, you have been given Dydrogesterone for next one month to support pregnancy if it is viable.
  • If even by the 8th week fetal pole does not arrive, then you may get a dilation and curettage done to remove the pregnancy.
  • The next ultrasound should be after the bleeding stops and at least two weeks post last ultrasound.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What are the possible consequences of a fetus without heartbeat?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is now 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant. She started to bleed three days back and felt little cramps. We had our first early trimester scan and they said that they are unable to detect fetus heartbeat. They arranged for another scan in some 15 days. She is taking Pregnacare Folic acid....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If she is 8 weeks and 5 days gestation as of today and still there has been no heartbeat or a fetal pole, then it is likely to be an anembryonic gestation or a chemical pregnancy with just the gestational sac. If the fetal pole and the heartbeat have not arrived t...  Read Full

Does spotting after I-pill rule out pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife started her last menstrual cycle on the 22nd of the previous month. We had protected sex on the 27th of the previous month. Unfortunately, the condom ruptured but, I was able to pull it out a few seconds before ejaculating. Just to be safe, she took an I-pill seven hours after ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand the concerns. I-pill has the usual side effect of delaying the next expected periods by two to three weeks. So, most likely her periods are delayed due to the pill. I will suggest her to get a urine pregnancy test don...  Read Full

According to scan, the fetus growth is lagging. Kindly clarify it.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is three months pregnant, and the doctor is telling that the baby is lagging in growth for about one month. The fetus heartbeat is good as per ultrasound, but the fetal growth is less. My wife's weight also dropped from 57 to 55 kg and recently, she is having stomach ache and back...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a baby of 9 weeks and 5 days. With the EDD and calculated date of conception, it is a case of delayed conception where the child is not lagging growth. It is likely that the mother had delayed...  Read Full