HomeAnswersPulmonology (Asthma Doctors)chest congestionHow to get rid of thick mucus in the chest that has made breathing difficult?

I have breathing difficulties due to thick mucus in the chest. Kindly help.

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At April 4, 2020
Reviewed AtJuly 10, 2023

Patient's Query

I have too much mucus on my chest, not allowing me to breathe. I could not get rid of this by coughing or medicine, or nebulizers. I have gastroesophageal disease (GERD), seasonally catches a cold, and thus uses Montek LC regularly. Last two months, I was gradually getting this breathing difficulty. Sometimes before coughing or sneezing gets mucus out of the lungs, and then I can sleep properly. Now the last two months, I find it very difficult to remove the mucus out. I am currently taking Astro 500 mg, Allegra 120 mg, Anti flu 75 mg, Deriphyllin R 150 mg, and Forecourt inhaler.

Welcome to iclliniq.com. According to the statement, you were quite fine on your current medications, but it is very difficult to remove the mucus out in the last two months, which irritates your coughing reflex and keeps you sleepless. Again your history of allergic rhinitis, acid reflux also makes your situation worsen. In that case, you can use Mucomyst (acetylcysteine-inhalation route) and keep yourself protected from any allergens or irritants that make your situation worsen. 3-5 ml of a 20% solution or 6-10ml of a 10% solution used in nebulizer 3-4 times a day through mouthpiece or face mask. By using Mucomyst, you can liquefy or dissolve mucus so that it may be coughed up. Again by taking Domperidone (Motilium) and Lansoprazole (Cipla), you can lessen your acid reflux. As Mucomyst has some side effects, please inform if you will suffer from any complications.

Patient's Query

Kindly reply to the queries please.

Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have already sent the treatment and suggestions.

Patient's Query

I have purchased Mucomyst, as shown in the attachment. It shows as an injection, but people say we can take one injection separately by breaking the tip as shown and putting it on the nebulizer. When I did it, there was too high dryness in the throat. Kindly advise how to take this. If not please provide alternate medicine to Mucomyst.

Welcome back to icIiniq.com. I asked for a Mucomyst tablet, not an injection. And injection cannot be used as nebulization. There is a separate nebulization solution of Mucomyst available.

Patient's Query

Is that look like this in the attachment? If it is so, I will go and look for it.

Welcome back to icliniq.com. N acetylcysteine (Mucomyst) is available in all three forms, tablet, injection, and nebulization solution.

Patient's Query

I am not able to get the Mucomyst to use it in neubaliser. Can you please provide an next best option.

Welcome back to icliniq.com. What about the Mucomyst tablet or Mucinac tablet? Start syrup Aerodil if Mucinac tablet is not available.

Patient's Query

I am using Mucinac 600 mg. You have also suggested to use Mucomyst through neubaliser but it is not available.

Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no other alternative you can start with syrup Aerodil one spoon three times a day.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy