Q. All my reports are normal, then why do I have chest tightness and labored breathing?

Five years ago, I quit smoking. I am a 34 year old male, who weighs 220 lbs. I had health anxiety and had asthma tests, ECG, EKG, and chest x-rays done. I drank fairly often for four years. The last three months, the frequency picked up, and I was getting really drunk. Over the four years, since my tests, I have smoked roughly a pack of cigarettes total. I completed three marathons in three months last year. My son was born two months back, and my running slowed to almost a halt (3 to 10 miles a week max). I am not getting back in shape, and I am attempting a 365-day running streak and quitting alcohol for that time as well. Last week, I did 16 miles and this week I did 20. I had a tight chest last week and went to the urgent care. EKG results were normal. After running now, I seem to have a sore back and slightly tight chest. I do not have to gasp for air, but it seems as if breathing is labored. When I take a deep breath, my chest and back feel sore. Also, I have OCD. Is this just getting back into shape?

#

1. Does this occurs only on exercise and relieves with rest?
  2. Do you still smoke?
  3. Do you have any other symptoms of gastritis and reflux like nausea, abdominal pain, chest burning, etc.?
  • This can occur just due to heavy unaccustomed exertion or even smoking. But considering the history of smoking, alcohol, and obesity, we need to rule out the cardiac disease called as chronic stable angina. In this disease, EKG can be normal in between the exercise and changes will appear on exercise only. So, you should get treadmill test done. If results are normal, then we can rest assured.
  • You should gradually increase your exercise and avoid heavy activities till we rule out cardiac disease. Also, avoid smoking and alcohol, have a healthy diet like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet.

Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. Yes, I had two treadmill tests, ECG, and a 24-hour heart monitor two years back. I do have occasional reflux and IBS symptoms as well. I do not smoke, and I have not drunk in three weeks. I actually ran 5 miles yesterday and 6.2 today. I usually only notice the symptoms after exercise has stopped. Only when I think about it do I notice it while running.

#

• Did you have similar symptoms when you had treadmill tests? If yes, then I do not think there is any further need. This is exercise related symptoms, and symptoms only on thinking suggest some psychological components as well.
  • If these are new symptoms, then it is advisable to have repeat treadmill test, and if possible echocardiogram.
  • I suggest you try the following:
  1. Go for a walk immediately after having food, instead of taking rest.
  2. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals.
  3. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress.
  4. Consume lots of green leafy vegetable and fruits.
  5. Tablet Pan DSR (Domperidone and Pantoprazole) 40 mg or Esomeprazole and Domperidone combination before breakfast, once a day for two weeks.

All the best.

|