Q. I am experiencing extreme tiredness and heaviness in my chest. What could be the reason?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I got intense pain in my ovary a few days back. I had experienced similar pain before due to an ovarian cyst that burst, and this time I took tablet Naproxen and tablet Paracetamol that alleviated the pain. It was my first time taking the tablet Naproxen. I felt better, and the pain did not come back, but I was pretty tired the rest of the day. The next day I felt very tired and experienced nausea throughout the day. The following two days, I had similar symptoms except for nausea. I also experience heaviness in my chest, which is extreme when I exhale; the heaviness does not seem to disappear. I feel normal the first half of the day, while in the next half of the day, the chest heaviness is extreme. Nothing seems to lessen the chest heaviness, and I am unsure what to do to reduce it. I have been experiencing this heavy feeling and pain in the middle part of the chest for a year. I was told it is probably muscle-related and suggested physiotherapy, which did not help. The heaviness worsens when I get drunk, take caffeine, or do not have proper sleep. I am worried if something is wrong with my chest, lungs, or heart or if I have cancer.

Please help.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern. However, the symptoms you are experiencing could be due to multiple reasons.

1) I suspect you to be caffeine sensitive as you say caffeinated beverages and poor sleep aggravate your symptoms. People who are caffeine sensitive may suffer from palpitations, raised blood pressure, or chest pain due to poor blood flow to the heart. Also, caffeine may relax the lower esophageal sphincter (a bunch of muscles present at the lower end of the esophagus where it meets with the stomach) and aggravate acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (a digestive disease in which the stomach acids irritate the stomach lining) by allowing acid to reflux into the chest and cause chest pain.

2) Chest pain may also derive from other causes like peptic ulcer disease, cardiac problems, respiratory diseases, muscle-related issues, bone problems, psychological disorders like stress, anxiety or depression, etc.

3) Some investigations like ECG (electrocardiogram) or echocardiogram, chest x-ray, CBC (complete blood count), endoscopy of upper GIT (gastrointestinal tract) should be done to detect the exact underlying cause and then treat them accordingly.

Thank you for the reply.

I feel severely fatigued but manage to sleep, eat, do simple tasks and perform low amounts of work. The symptoms are not worsening but are persisting. I have attached some photos regarding my symptoms. Also, I have suffered from an ovarian cyst bursting three to four times previously without any side effects. Last month, I experienced severe menstrual pain on the first day of my period, which was so extreme that I took tablet Naproxen. I am eight days away from my new cycle. I have also started taking tablet Vitamin B12 500 mcg four to five times a week from last week. I hope the information I have provided will help you in any way to rule out my condition. Also, is this a serious condition? Do I need medical help immediately?

#

I have gone through the symptoms you have mentioned. As I mentioned earlier, there are multiple causes for the symptoms you are experiencing.

1) The other reasons for chest pain and fatigue could be chronic fatigue syndrome, pulmonary embolism (blockage in the pulmonary artery in the lungs), hormonal changes during menstrual periods, thyroid hormone dysfunction, fluctuation in blood sugar levels, etc. On the other hand, chronic fatigue syndrome is characterized by extreme fatigue, which persists for at least six months; it also aggravates physical or mental activity, and taking rest does not improve this situation.

2) In addition, low hemoglobin levels due to blood loss or electrolytes imbalance cause chest tightness and fatigue.

3) Without undergoing some investigations, it is challenging to predict the exact cause of your present symptoms. Therefore, some investigations like thyroid function tests, CBC (complete blood test), RBS (random blood sugar), pelvic ultrasound to check for an ovarian cyst, CT pulmonary angiogram (computed tomography pulmonary angiogram) to rule out pulmonary embolism, serum electrolytes, etc. also should be done along with the previously mentioned investigations.

As your present sufferings are not so severe and you can carry on your daily activities, you can delay getting medical help for some time. But ensure you get the investigations done as early as possible and revert with the reports.

|