Q. Can Paracetamol cure very high fever?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My son is turning 4-years-old next month. My son had a severe dry cough, and he was diagnosed with a viral infection and given medications. Now, he has a very high fever. I gave him Paracetamol yesterday evening, at midnight, and now again fever is shooting up after five hours. Can I give Paracetamol again? Kindly guide me.

#

Please check the temperature with a thermometer. If the temperature is 102 degree fahrenheit or more, Paracetamol will not work. I suggest giving Syrup Ibugesic plus (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) instead. Paracetamol works between temperatures of 100 degree fahrenheit and 102 degree fahrenheit. If fever is 103 degree fahrenheit or fever is present for three days, please get the child evaluated physically by a pediatrician.

|