iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersCardiologycoronary artery diseaseHow can one stop coronary artery disease (CAD) from progressing?

I feel tired and chest heaviness after climbing stairs and doing household chores. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Malay Shukla

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At March 14, 2021
Reviewed AtJuly 7, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am 72 years old female from a rural area. I feel tired or chest heaviness after climbing stairs and while doing household chores. What is the issue?

Answered by Dr. Malay Shukla


Welcome to icliniq.com.

So, as you mentioned, you feel tired and, more importantly, feeling chest heaviness while performing home chores and climbing stairs or streets. CAD (coronary artery disease) is caused when there is a partial or complete obstruction in the blood vessels supplying the muscles of the heart. This leads to the decreased blood supply to the muscles when the affected person is performing exercise and needs more blood to the heart muscles. The decrease in blood supply leads to angina which commonly presents not as chest pain but as chest heaviness in the central chest, a feeling that some heavyweight is kept on the chest. That usually subsides when the person stops working or exercising. I believe this must be happening in your case. If yes, these are classic symptoms of CAD and must be further evaluated by many methods. The way to increase heart rate is by exercise or medicine, and the way to see changes is by ECG (electrocardiogram), echo (echocardiogram), or perfusion imaging. My recommendations are as follows. The issue appears to be coronary artery disease (CAD). Consultation with a cardiologist. Further evaluation of the condition by stress echo (echocardiogram) since there are already baseline. Do blood tests such as CBC (complete blood count), renal profile with electrolytes, lipid profile, and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin). Have a Blood pressure diary and do 2D-Echocardiogram.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Malay Shukla
Dr. Malay Shukla


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy