Q. I am 25 weeks pregnant, and I have severe chest pains. Please help.

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I am a 20 year old female, who weighs approximately 150 lbs, and I am 25 weeks pregnant with my third child. I went to the ER two days ago due to severe chest pains. They did an EKG, which they said came back slightly abnormal, but they did not explain. They hooked me up to all kinds of machines and ran a couple of tests, but I did not want to go any further due to my pregnancy. They checked my heart rate and BP while lying down, sitting up, and then standing up. My BP was 80 to 85 mmHg while lying down, 100 to 120 mmHg while sitting, and it was 140 to 170 mmHg while standing. The doctor gave me Labetalol 100 mg, to take twice daily. They did not do any further testing, and they told me that if it got worse, I should come back. It has not gotten worse, but it has not gotten any better either. So, I just wanted to get another opinion because this does not seem right. Thank you.

#

I understand what you are going through.

• During the course of pregnancy, it is normal to have various changes in different systems of the body, especially the cardiovascular system. You are having tachycardia, which is very common alongside hypertension during pregnancy. This occurs due to your heart needing to pump enough blood both for you and your baby. It usually gets resolved after pregnancy.
  • I will advise you keep taking the Labetalol 100 mg twice daily. Try to be alert to abnormal changes, you might experience dizziness or fainting, please report to the nearest ER (emergency room).

Best wishes.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|