Q. I have sudden muscle pain on the left side of my chest. Is it due to anxiety and B12 deficiency?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

After having anxiety, my health condition started going down. Until that day, I was active. I use to do jogging, yoga, and play tennis every day. after that, I was not having good sleep. I got chest pain and severe constipation. My doctor told me to have Alprax 5 mg. After taking it, I had some relief.

Currently, I am having sudden muscle pain on the left side of my chest above and left to the nipple. It makes me anxious and fearful. I do not have any other symptoms. I consulted a cardiologist and did ECG, ECHO, 2D cardiography, CT coronary angiography. Now, my cardiologist advised me to consult an orthopedician. I have deficient levels of B12 and vitamin D3.

I have B12 of 86.81 pg/mL and D3 of 73.4 ng/mL. But cardiologist has not given me any B12 supplements. He told me to take Uprise 60000 IU capsule for six weeks and Shelcal XT tablets for six weeks. I am also taking Telma CT 40/6.25 in the morning and Metpure AM at night daily. Can I have it due to anxiety and B12 deficiency?

#

I understand your concern. Vitamin B12 deficiency occurs in people who follow a strict vegetarian diet. Otherwise, it occurs rarely. I suggest you take B12 supplements. B12 deficiency causes megaloblastic anemia, neurological symptoms such as tingling, and numbness in distal extremities. Regarding localized pain, you need to consult an orthopedician. Avoid anxiety and continue taking anti-hypertensive medications.

Is it good to take B12 supplements? For D3, I am taking Uprise 60000 IU daily for a week. Do I need to take Shelcal XT? Is there a chance for me to have reduced blood oxygen? How to get tested? When can I do tests for knowing my B12 levels after taking B12 supplements?

#

Try to know your cause. In strict vegetarians, it most probably occurs due to dietary deficiency. In non-vegetarians, pernicious anemia should be ruled out. Do tests for intrinsic factor antibody levels and parietal cell antibody levels. Do CBC (complete blood count) to know the size of RBC (red blood cells). If it occurs due to dietary deficiency, then you need to take vitamin B12 1000 micrograms per day orally for a month and then take 125 to 500 micrograms per day depending on the levels. In strict vegetarians, maintanence dose should be taken for a long time. In case of pernicious anemia, it has to be taken for life-long. Please mention whether you have any neurological symptoms like foot numbness and tingling.

|