Q. What can cause left-sided chest pain while breathing?

Dr. Yashas Saipangallu

Every time when I breathe, my left side hurts. It also hurts when I take a deep breath too. I do not smoke. What could be the problem?

Do you have a question on Chest Pain or Severe Muscle Cramps?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Yashas Saipangallu

MBBS
Family Physician General Practitioner

I would like to know the following details before proceeding into diagnosis and management of your illness.

• What is your age? Do you have cough/ cold/ breathlessness?
  • Where is the exact location of pain? Does it radiate to your left shoulder? When did this symptom start?
  • Do you have digestive system problems such as abdominal bloating, reduced appetite, nausea or vomiting?
  • Do you have muscle cramps in other parts of body? Is your pain related to exercise?
  • Pain can be due to many causes. Even with simple muscle cramps you may get pain which is associated with breathing movements.
  • If you have cough, fever and breathlessness, then it could be due to infections involving respiratory system. If you have bloating, abdominal discomfort, nausea and vomiting then it can be due to gastritis.
  • If you have pain over your left shoulder while taking deep inspiration it generally suggests diaphragm irritation or pain from spleen. Hence, it has many differential diagnoses.
  • By knowing more details about your illness, we can give you needed solutions for your health problem.

Revert back with the answers to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?
Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms. Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full »

Would fundoplication help gastritis?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues. Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too. Hiatal hernia...  Read Full »

Will chiropractic service help alleviate muscle pain?
Query: Hi doctor, I met with a car accident three weeks ago. I was injured and had trauma to the chest wall muscles. My chest muscles went into spasm periodically, but has subsided somewhat. My right side lower chest is the only area still hurting. After rest for a long period or sleep, when I activate th...  Read Full »
Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, chiropractic service will be helpful. Please make sure that there is no fracture in the spine. I assume that it is negative on the CT of the spine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Muscle spasm that you are complaining of is protective, but at the ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now