Q. What can cause left-sided chest pain while breathing?

Dr. Yashas Saipangallu
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

Every time when I breathe, my left side hurts. It also hurts when I take a deep breath too. I do not smoke. What could be the problem?

#

I would like to know the following details before proceeding into diagnosis and management of your illness.

• What is your age? Do you have cough/ cold/ breathlessness?
  • Where is the exact location of pain? Does it radiate to your left shoulder? When did this symptom start?
  • Do you have digestive system problems such as abdominal bloating, reduced appetite, nausea or vomiting?
  • Do you have muscle cramps in other parts of body? Is your pain related to exercise?
  • Pain can be due to many causes. Even with simple muscle cramps you may get pain which is associated with breathing movements.
  • If you have cough, fever and breathlessness, then it could be due to infections involving respiratory system. If you have bloating, abdominal discomfort, nausea and vomiting then it can be due to gastritis.
  • If you have pain over your left shoulder while taking deep inspiration it generally suggests diaphragm irritation or pain from spleen. Hence, it has many differential diagnoses.
  • By knowing more details about your illness, we can give you needed solutions for your health problem.

Revert back with the answers to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|