Q. What is the recommended course of action for LAD stenosis?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

This patient is complaining of prolonged chest pain for three weeks now. Took medication for gastric issue and the pain has not subsided. I have attached the angiogram report. ECG performed several times and nothing abnormal in it. The angiogram report showed mid LAD 12 mm length and segment eccentric calcification. Soft plaque in LAD causing 50% stenosis. What is the recommended course of action?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I appreciate your concerns and can well realize the sensitivity of the issues.

There is considerable calcification of LAD (left anterior descending artery). If it reaches up to 75% that is quite possible in the near future, then complications and consequences can be severe.

In case of single artery involvement in coronary artery disease (CAD) it is best to have an angioplasty of the vessel with stent placement.

• You need to take the patient to a cardiologist for the same. May be he will go for an angiogram of coronary artery involved and on table angioplasty will be possible in a single go. So, remain prepared for that and discuss possibilities beforehand, with the cardiologist.
  • Pain is persistent as it is ischemic pain. It will not go away until the vessel involved is not manipulated.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|