Q. Which one is better angioplasty or bypass surgery?

Published on Jan 10, 2018

Last week, during night time, my relative developed chest pain and was feeling very uncomfortable. He was taken to a hospital and after tests and preliminary medications, he has been advised to do PTCA to RCA. His age is 51 years old. He has a diabetic history. The reports have been enclosed. Kindly suggest whether he requires angioplasty or coronary bypass surgery.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

He had heart attack. There are significant blockages. The medicine he is receiving is fine and should be continued until bypass surgery.

Regarding, bypass or angioplasty. Immediately after the attack, say within 24 hours, if you do angioplasty, then it is beneficial for the patient as it can be done on an urgent basis, and shorter the time interval between attack and either procedure, more is the benefit. This benefit is for 24 to 48 hours. But at this stage, since this crucial time period has already passed, there is no urgency.

He should undergo bypass surgery as he is having too many blockages and stenting will not be possible at all these places. So, discuss with the cardiac surgeon regarding bypass. It should be done as early as possible for best results.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Heart Attack Explained

Article Overview: This article describes heart attack in simple language, which can be easily understood by common people. Read Article

Our heart works as a pump. As water pump pulls water from back pipes and pushes it to forward pipes, so is the function of our living pump. It receives blood from the body and pumps it forward to the body. Blood contains oxygen and nutrients that our body metabolizes to generate energy, which is re...  Read Article

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?

Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full »