Q. Please explain the odd in my chest x-ray and liver scan report.

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am done with my chest x-ray. But, I am worried and I do not want to wait a week for my doctor's opinion. So, I have attached it. Please convey your opinion. Thanks.

#

I have seen your chest x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The lung fields are clear. There is no abnormal fluid collection in the chest cavity.
  • The heart and rib cage are also normal.
  • In conclusion, your chest x-ray is normal as visualized.
  • However, you might have to take lung function tests to know if there is any change in inspiratory and expiratory lung volumes which is causing your symptoms.
  • Please avoid smoking if you are in the habit of doing it regularly.

For further information consult a radiologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Please, can you read my ultrasound report of liver?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures of your ultrasound scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please find my observations below.

• There is increase in fat content of the liver and it is enlarged. This requires you to do liver function tests and lipid profile blood test.
  • There are two stones in the gall bladder. They measure 12 mm and 7 mm in diameter. Common bile duct is normal.
  • There is a possible cystic area in the pelvis of right kidney which measures 28 x 13 mm. This might be a parapelvic cyst. However, this is not a concern.
  • The pancreas and the spleen are normal to the extent visualized.
  • The left kidney is normal.

1. Enlarged and fatty liver, suggested lifestyle changes.
2. Two stones in gall bladder.
3. Possible small cyst in right kidney.

1. Liver function test.
2. Lipid profile blood test.

1. Gall bladder surgery might be suggested to remove the stones and gall bladder. Since there are two stones, there is a possibility of more stone formation which might be a concern at a later time.
2. After the above investigation, if required then cholesterol lowering medicines have to be taken regularly. A cardiovascular health check is also suggested.

1. Avoid foods high in fat content. Have small meals over short duration about every 3 to 4 hours.
2. Lifestyle and fitness changes might help.

Revert back with the investigation report to a radiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

My blood test showed high cholesterol levels. What is the core problem? What should I expect from the liver function test and lipid profile test? For the gallstones, will I able to ultimately avoid surgery? Please explain.

#

• The lipid profile test is another name for cholesterol level.
  • Having high level of cholesterol puts you at risk to develop heart disease at a young age. This is the reason why I suggested a heart health check. It is to know your total risk to heart disease.
  • At 31 years, if you include changes in your diet and lifestyle then you will be able to stay healthy for a long time.
  • Most people have obesity in their genes and with a BMI of 38.65 you are in obese group. If your obesity is because of genetic factors then the best way to control it will be by medicines and lifestyle changes which you might start following from now.
  • For gall bladder stones, a single stone less than 10 mm can be allowed to dissolve with medicines. You are having two stones measuring 12 and 7 mm and therefore have a small risk of developing obstructive jaundice and complications from the gall stones.
  • However, you might take a short duration risk and try to dissolve the stones by medicines and strictly follow the diet for next six months.
  • If the stones show no reduction in size or number after six months then medicines might not work for you. Please discuss this matter with your surgeon.

|