Q. My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?

Dr. Prathap

Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything was normal. As it was a festival season, I had a lot of drinks and food for three days before the blood test. My doctor told me to take Razel (Rosuvastatin) tablets for 3 to 4 months after food and told me to control my diet. Is it necessary to take medicine? Can the triglycerides level be reduced only by controlling my diet at this stage? And even if I take the pills, will it cause any side effects? Please explain.

#

I will try to explain in detail about the lipid profile.

Triglyceride levels in the lipid profile depend on the fasting status. If the blood sample is taken in fasting, the upper limit is 200 mg/dL. But the value changes with the food taken by you. In your case, there is no need to take the tablets as your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) and HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol are normal.

You need to do regular physical activity and control your diet.

Rosuvastatin usually does not have much effect in reducing the triglyceride level. It will decrease the LDL levels instead, so no need for medicines.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for clearing my doubts. I need to know that, is my triglyceride level normal or borderline? I had given my blood for examination early morning without taking any food. And is exercise and dietary control sufficient? Is there any medicine to control triglycerides level?

#

• Your triglyceride is just borderline high, so no need for medicines at this stage.
  • Control your diet and exercise for three months and repeat the tests. We will plan your treatment after three months.

Revert after three months to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|