Childhood Psychiatric Problem

Is OCD hereditary?

Query: Hi doctor, I got married before 1-1/2 years. By seeing the aggressive behaviour of my wife, I took her to a hospital in my town and she was diagnosed with OCPD, EUPD and anger discontrol from childhood. She refused to accept the disease and apprehended to take the medicine. We have been attending ...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read the detailed history that you have mentioned in your query and I can understand your concern. The symptoms does not fit in a particular personality type and this is the reason why she has been diagnosed with different personalities. As you have mentioned that ...  Read Full »

What are the reasons for extreme anger in a 13 year old boy?

Query: Hello doctor, My nephew is 13 years old, weighs 45 kg, and his height is 135 cms. He sometimes becomes so angry and beats his younger brother and sometimes when things are not given to him, he becomes angry and tells he wants to go out of the house. He likes only his father and not anyone else. We ...  Read Full »

Dr. Surabhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would have answered the query more appropriately if you had included a little more information regarding his day to day activities, his academic performance, his peer relationship, etc. Anyways, regarding your query, it can be due to sibling rivalry, or it could be du...  Read Full »

What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking into a career in child psychiatry, but cannot really understand the difference between what a child psychologist would be doing and what a child psychiatrist would be doing. Any child psychiatrists out here who can give me some information?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A child psychiatrist is a psychiatrist who is a medical doctor and treats patients of child psychiatry by pharmacological and non-pharmacological means. They are specialists and gain specialization after attaining a medical graduate degree. A child psychologist is a sp...  Read Full »

How should I deal my 8 year old sons's wanking habit?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an 8-year-old son. Recently, I came home from work and found him wanking in the living room. He saw me standing there, and he was not embarrassed that I caught him. He continued to do it, so I walked away and left him wanking. I have not spoken to him about that on that day. Since...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is wanking most of the days, in front of you, I do not think this is a healthy child behavior. Abnormal behavior of a child should be addressed at the right time. Your son may or may not understand that it is unusual behavior for his age. A lot of stressors can be...  Read Full »

I am a teenager and I feel my parents hate me. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 14-year-old female. I always have this moment where I am complained and scolded. This always happens with my parents and I always feel bad and it always makes me think "Do they hate me? Am I not good enough for them? Am I a maid for them? " I also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your parents need family therapy from a psychologist. If you cannot do this then accept it. If you cannot change the situation then change yourself. You can make good friends, develop good hobbies like painting, reading books, learn music and dance, lea...  Read Full »

My 10-year-old son often argues with adults. Is ADHD the right diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 10 years old. Since one year, he has been urinating in his pants in school and often arguing with adults and sometimes with other kids. He has once threatened me that he would commit suicide. He tells people he is a "master manipulator" and that there is nothing wrong with hi...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. From your description, there are two things which come to my mind apart from the ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder). One is ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), and the other one is a conduct disorder. But, your description...  Read Full »

My 2.4 years old son has not started talking, and he does not chew food. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2.4 years old. He has still not started talking. He also does not follow instructions; hence it is very difficult to make him sit and teach him how to talk. He does not even follow us when we talk to him or try to make him learn or focus. He rarely responds to his name, when ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, I have a few queries. I am unable to make out if the hearing of your child is normal or not. This seems to be the most likely problem I feel. Because you have mentioned that he loves to watch and listen to songs, please make sure that the child is abl...  Read Full »

How to identify if my son has autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The IQ test does not decide autism. It is determined by the clinical symptoms and signs in your child. Some important signs are disinterest in surroundings, delayed learning skills, delayed language, repetitive and aggressive behavior. If these are present in your ch...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about my son's behavior of pulling his shirt constantly?

Query: Hi doctor, My son, who is 7, pulls his shirt constantly. He keeps his face that he does not realize what he is doing. Should I be concerned?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This seems to be an attention seeking behavior by your child. It occurs in those families where both parents are working. If your child does not have any other symptoms like convulsions, altered sensorium and delayed milestones, then there is probably no brain involvem...  Read Full »