Q. How to identify if my son has autism?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The IQ test does not decide autism. It is determined by the clinical symptoms and signs in your child.

Some important signs are disinterest in surroundings, delayed learning skills, delayed language, repetitive and aggressive behavior. If these are present in your child, then it is more likely that it is autism.

Also, I would like to know the milestones achieved by the child so far. Does the child interact with other children and play with his toys?

For a better guidance, I would advise you to approach a child psychiatrist who can observe the child and evaluate for other behavioral disorders.

For further information consult a child psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist/child-psychiatry

| 

I do not show my emotion at any time. Is that due to anxiety or social disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have some form of social disorder. I do not have feelings like others. I do not feel empathy but can be empathetic on cue as I know the social cues. And I prefer to keep to myself. Can you please advise where I can be diagnosed? I have always thought it was anxiety as this...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of a child with autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just noticed recently my 15 months old when he plays with his electronic toys that light up. He will look closely at where they light up and open his mouth like a stun. It does not happen all the time though. I know this is a sign of autism. But he has great eye contact, responds ...  Read Full »

Autism: Seeing the World from a Different Angle

Article Overview: Autism affects many children, making them unable to have a good academic career. Still, there are many legends who turned their wounds into wisdom. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What Is Autism? Autism is a group of similar conditions that affects communication, interaction, behavior, language skills, and development. It is now referred to as autism spectrum disorder due to the broad range of symptoms and variations in its severity. That is, it may be so mild that the child...  Read Article