Q. How to identify if my son has autism?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.

#

The IQ test does not decide autism. It is determined by the clinical symptoms and signs in your child.

Some important signs are disinterest in surroundings, delayed learning skills, delayed language, repetitive and aggressive behavior. If these are present in your child, then it is more likely that it is autism.

Also, I would like to know the milestones achieved by the child so far. Does the child interact with other children and play with his toys?

For a better guidance, I would advise you to approach a child psychiatrist who can observe the child and evaluate for other behavioral disorders.

For further information consult a child psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist/child-psychiatry

|