Q. Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice daily?

Dr. Purva Jingar
Published on Aug 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Why is Chlorhexidine mouthwash used only twice and not thrice daily?

#

Chlorhexidine mouthwash is only used twice daily because of the following reasons:

1. It has a property to stain teeth if we use it more
  2. As we brush twice a day, which is recommended for every healthy person, and mouthwash works best after brushing teeth.
  3. Using mouthwash unnecessarily will stain the teeth, and they have chemicals that are not suitable for teeth without brushing.

Wish you good health and happiness.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

By What Age Toddlers Should Start Brushing Teeth On Their Own?

Article Overview: Brushing helps to maintain the normal oral flora. If we encourage our kids at younger age to brush their teeth twice daily, it will become a good habit and it will also help to prevent tooth decay. Read Article

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
Pedodontist

You can give your children a baby-sized toothbrush when they are around one year old, thus encouraging the children to use the brush themself. Although the child may initially play with the toothbrush rather than brushing their teeth, it will ensure a good habit in them. Afterwards, you ...  Read Article

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Betadine (Povidone-Iodine 10 %) has been used as an external disinfectant prior to surgery for years. The active antimicrobial agent is iodine and is necessary for thyroid hormone synthesis. Excess iodine will be filtered out by the normal kidneys. Povidone is a common...  Read Full

Should I brush my teeth after a wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got all four of my wisdom teeth removed last week. I was looking at my back teeth, both top and bottom. On all the four teeth, at the very back of my mouth, just front of where the wisdom teeth were, I noticed what appears to be brown hairline-looking marks in the pits and on th...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry. They must be just stained pits and fissures. Since you have not brushed your teeth, or maintained your oral hygiene for a week, they have developed. I insist that you start gentle brushing and rinsing of your mouth twice daily with any over t...  Read Full